Holding On

Every shaky breath I take exhausts me
I'm clinging to the rope but it burns my hands
Behind my smile is a face full of pain
And all I see is grey

I can't help but want to let go
Death coils around my waist and latches his fingers in my hair
He is dragging me down
My strength is giving out

What if I were to kneel down before Death?
Just give up and let him take me?
There would be no more pain, no more struggle...
...but no hope and happiness either.

Memories would vanish and emotion would be gone
I wouldn't feel his fingers on my flesh or his breath on my neck
His arms couldn't embrace me and hold me to his chest.
And this...this is what keeps me holding on.

thetruthawaits94This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is absolutely amazing! I can tell that you  really mean everything of what you ar saying in this poem and i think that is why it is sooo powerful. Look for the little things in life. THey are the most beautiful. and never NEVER let go. You make a difference to the world.  Just by writing this poem you did!!! :)Great work! Keep it up!

thetruthawaits94This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:07 pm :
p.s.- If you would like, you could read my poem "Never Falling" or "No Matter How Long You Search For Perfect". Those two kind of came to mind while reading this. i think that you would like them and you could apply them to your life in the same wya that i can apply some of your poems to mine! :)

sparkofheart replied...
Aug. 20, 2011 at 11:05 am :
Again thank you so much for the feedback :) I'm really glad that my poetry has such a strong effect on you! I will definitely check out your poetry too :)

pinkypromise23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 21, 2010 at 2:30 pm:
ive read all of your stuff and this is definitly one of my favorites(:

sparkofheart replied...
Jul. 2, 2010 at 10:33 pm :
thank you!!!:)

givemetherapy said...
Jun. 21, 2010 at 9:26 am:
this is so intense and emotional. i really like your writing :)

sparkofheart replied...
Jun. 21, 2010 at 11:48 am :
thanks!! it really means a lot to hear people say they like your writing :) it totally made my day haha

Jessiperk This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 20, 2010 at 9:21 pm:
Great peice once again, your writing is so powerful

sparkofheart replied...
Jun. 21, 2010 at 11:47 am :
thank you :)

iluvnachoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 7, 2010 at 9:42 pm:
wow...wow wow wow. amazing. its so deep and sorrowful, but its so amazing and a little hope! keep it up

sparkofheart replied...
Jun. 7, 2010 at 9:44 pm :
thank you! :)

sparkofheart said...
Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:50 pm:
thanks!!!!

notebookgirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:11 pm:
short but what you did write was powerful and i could relate to it

sparkofheart replied...
Jul. 2, 2010 at 10:35 pm :
again, i always try to find a way for my readers to relate by writing about experiences that everyone has had, even though theyre not always pleasant. thanks for the feedback :)

Jazzy-FizzleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:53 pm:
this was really good and so relatable. it's easy to get inside yur head and to feel exactly what yur feeling.

sparkofheart replied...
Jul. 2, 2010 at 10:34 pm :
thanks i always try and relate to my readers :) {love your screenname btw!!}

Jazzy-FizzleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 4, 2010 at 3:56 pm :
lol thanks my friends call me that

wondering said...
May 27, 2010 at 10:21 pm:
this is really good! It flows really nicely and it's easy to relate to. At least for me it is. I like how you're almost playing with death.

sparkofheart replied...
May 30, 2010 at 6:15 pm :
thank you so much! yeah i was trying to have some sort of argument/battle with death or like 'he' was trying to pull me over to his side

FreakShow818 said...
May 27, 2010 at 1:12 pm:
I really like this. It's sort of demonic and dark, but it has a spark of hope in it too. Keep it up!