High Five This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“I am
So completely
Over it.”

Yeah.
Right.

They can make fun
Of me.
Argue – and who's to
Say that I
Haven't moved
On?
Apparently – them.

The ball
In the middle
Dangerous, explosive
In the middle
Between
Me
And you.

A gentle pass …
Your eyes
Snatched mine
And you
Made
The pass.
Perfect.

“Don't miss,”
We said to
Me.
I close my
Eyes,
But not
Before looking
At the ball.

Making contact,
Strong shot and
BAM.
To the back.
Of the net.

Score.

“Nice
Goal.”
Your irises are
The same colour
As your pupils
And I look.

“Thanks.”

High five.

My hand still
Feels it,
Hours later.

dolphin13 said...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 9:06 pm:
I love it! Especially the ending. Nice Job!

aspiring.author.09 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 9:33 pm :
Thank you so much! :)

IamtheshyStargirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 6:05 pm:

This is really interesting, I love the last paragraph (?) "My hand still/Feels it,/Hours later."

It's like the lind is set in stone or something, it's such an End.

I don't know how to explain it.

I really liked your poem!! And I want to congratulate you on getting it published :)

Feb. 1, 2011 at 6:25 pm :
Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm glad you liked the poem, and I'll confess that the last line is my absolute favourite as well. :) 

thetiedyecrayon said...
Jun. 11, 2010 at 5:54 pm:
 I didn't really get it after "apparently-them". could you explain? i actually think the poem would've been better if you just ended it there.

Jun. 12, 2010 at 2:05 pm :
Who is to say that I haven't moved on? Apparently they are the ones who are to say I haven't moved on. Does that make more sense? I'm not that great at explaining myself. If I were to end the poem there I would be putting a different message across, one that I personally find is cliché - I wrote about the high five during the soccer game to express how even the little things make a huge impact on the protagonist. Thank you for the feedback! :)