She didn't know I could hear every word... | Teen Ink

She didn't know I could hear every word...

April 11, 2010
By MorganPayne GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
MorganPayne GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
16 articles 0 photos 1 comment

i listened as her voice began to crack while she whispered softly to her friend on the receiver.
She didn't know i could hear every word.
I tried to turn up the volume, but i could even hear her teardrops as they fell on the solid floor.
I wanted to tell her, "mommy, don't cry" and hold her safely in my arms.
I wanted to grab her beautiful face and whisper "mommy, it will be ok",
but i couldn't find the courage to move.
everything seemed silent as she continued her secret conversation.
She didn't know i could hear every word.
I tried to block her hurtful words out & think about the happy memories they once shared together.
I wanted to let her see me smile, and feel that everything was going to be ok,
but i couldn't get my lips to curve upward.
everything, even the air seemed paralyzed as she hung up the phone.
She didn't know I could hear every word.
I tried to turn away, as she walked into the room , wiping her serene face.
I wanted to wipe the tears and for the pain to suddenly disappear,
but i couldn't face her.
everything seemed to come crumbling down into pieces in both mine and her's world.
because I finally knew the truth about daddy.
Because she didn't know I could hear every word.


The author's comments:
"I want her to stop the crying, i want her to stop the pain, i want her to smile again."