Sugar and Ice This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am comprised almost entirely of water.

I am broken.

I am the color
of ripe pumpkins and
navels and
sweet potatoes and
poppies and
excitement.

Nestled
in cardboard,
clothed
in plastic packaging.

I am
warm
in my frozen
manmade bed.

I am cloaked in crystal negligee.

I am fragile,
filled with amusement.

A fruitless backbone.
A fruity center.

I am tasty.

I am halfway eaten and

dripping,
sticking,
slipping,
sweating.

The sun's sultry breath trickling down my spine.
Her vicious blaze robbing me of my composure.

Slip
Drip
Dropsicle.

I am burning refreshment.
I am the good kind of pain.
I am cool, audacious –
glistening serenely under
her smoldering scowl.

With each bite
I am made more whole.

The bone of your teeth ripping,
tearing through my tendons and
my artificial flavors.
Caressing vital organs.
I am falling, and I
have
hit
the ground.

I am fractured.
Bleeding.

The jealous sun seeks her revenge,
searing my torso with her envious glare.

I am seeping,
salivating.

I am running
from my own body
and I
am utterly free.

I am
tyrannous, constant and
cascading over a forest of
beetles and grass and anthills.

Swirling and slicing and merciless.
I am both worshipped and feared.
I am burrowing deep inside the earth.
I am carried home to feed
millions of children.

I am dragged below
to comfort the afflicted.
I am sustenance.

I have found my faith.

TickTockBANG said...

This is about a Popsicle.

A FREAKIN' POPSICLE.

How can you make a Popsicle so poetic? Because I love this poem. AND IT'S ABOUT A FROZEN TREAT.

That's art, right there.

SwallowedByInsanity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

i thought i'd tell u that everything you've written that i've read is absolutely beautiful :D

I'm jealous of your talents yet drawn to continue reading your scriptures like a mosquito chasing after the light within an outdoor lamp.

Never in a million years did I think popsicles could have held inspiration for a piece, but hey, we all get inspired by the most random things xD

keep writing! your work is beautiful.

ayeshamuzaffar This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 19, 2011 at 3:02 am
The best work here or teen ik. Ever. I totally love your work. Your article, 'Shiver Shiver' was love.

_Elsy_ said...
Jun. 24, 2010 at 10:33 am
that's awesome and very vivid as well. btw-can you check out some of my stuff??

PlaceboEffect said...
I think I'm in love with this. I really do. I could image everything in my head.  

babigerl1194 said...
this is outsanding ik to me describing myself is the hardest thing ever but you did it and it was smooth and rhythmic and inspiring :)

Bassoonkelley This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
lol it's about a popsicle, not about myself... but thanks? :)

Schnoodlebear replied...
I think you may want to use some ryhme in your poem. It's dosn't sound much like a poem and to me it really doesn't make sense...Sorry.

May 1, 2010 at 2:48 am
lol it's okay :) That's why I put it under "Free Verse," because I wasn't sure what to call it.
However, a lot of poetry doesn't rhyme. The rhyming isn't what makes it poetry

respecturself7 replied...
This is really cool! I didn't realize you could be so deep about a Popsicle lol Awesome! PS I agree a lot of the best poetry doesn't rhyme it just has to have a natural flow.  :)

LastChapter replied...
this is such a funk-o-licious poem! you described everything so amazingly! you should seriously get published in the magazine for the sole reason alone of making a POPSICLE as interesting and personal as you did. great job:)

Dec. 1, 2010 at 9:27 am
haha thanks for sending that good karma my way, this piece is going to be published this month! :)

raindance72 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

Uh yeah if you read this through it's really obvious it's not about a person...nestled in cardboard and orange in color aren't the classic characteristics of the human. ha ha....

Really really good....I'm writing a novel but I can't write poetry like you! :)