Things That Kill

Insults are fired like knives,
Or like….fire.
And us, being like onions, have layers.
And these knives burn our layers.
From the outside, in which case
We cannot shake it off,
And act like it doesn’t hurt.
And if caught on fire we will find,
That our hearts don’t melt to a crisp,
-Instantly. No it takes time.
So we walk about being scorched on the outside.
But If we don’t let these bother us,
We will find that these burnings will leave no scars,
-Except for those thoughts that really hurt.
In which case you will find-
They start at the heart,
Penetrate the center,
And eventually will reach the outside.
To destroy it as well.
Thus you will find,
That popcorn burns from the center.

Aderes18 said...

LOVE IT! 

We have layers like onions. Did you get that from Shrek?That's a line from Shrek, you know. But it's something I've always thought too. :)

I really,really liked this whole poem except the very last line. Popcorn? Random!

DreamWriter15 said...
I like this, though I'm not too particularly fond of popcorn.  ;p

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 20, 2010 at 3:07 am
really? it sounds like you're not too particularly fond of popcorn. HELLO!

DreamWriter15 replied...
I'm not, it's just....not my thing.....although I enjoy a good piece of fruit...

feel free to dive into the citrus platter.

DreamWriter15 replied...
more like kiwi and watermellon and apples and pears and peaches

i dont believe in apples.

DreamWriter15 replied...
[gasp] T'was an apple that took my first front tooth!

then you shouldnt believe in apples either.

DreamWriter15 replied...
I totally believe in apples!  Like the demons believe in God, they know He's there!

Jul. 1, 2010 at 3:22 am
I'sa headin up the moutain with muh donkey and there he was with his stampede just'a comin down the moutain....

DreamWriter15 replied...
sounds like an interesting dream

its really just you shooting me in the eye with random thoughts that i dont know how to digest. you're steady throwing horses down at me when i'm trying to come up the mountain.

DreamWriter15 replied...
Sorry 'bout that, but they keep falling, and I can't stop them...

Jul. 6, 2010 at 1:43 am
you could if you'd stop thinking about what you say before you speak...

DreamWriter15 replied...
I can't help it!  

this is the part where i say something and you dont try to prove it possible to respond to by responding to it.

insaneprincess said...

This is emotion, raw and pure

and I love it .

thank you. raw-I like that. i ap-ciate. your input.

Kairah027 said...
AMAZING!!! I AM SO INSPIRED BY THIS, SO BEAUTIFUL :) YOUR A FANOMINAL WRITER! KEEP WRITING!