Margot’s Secret This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am complicated, an American beauty
that you can't see rotting underneath
at the roots.
I'm a chain smoker, I tried to quit,
but really
I just don't care.

I don't know why I have
three men chasing after me.
Do they find my thinness,
my paleness, attractive?
I wonder what it's like
to be in love,
I wonder if I'll ever know.

I can't recall the last time I cried
or felt something other than the
momentary thrill of a short-lived affair.
Liberated, I turn to the comfort
of strangers, I cling to no past,
set it free
like a hawk into the city sky.

I could fall asleep in the bathtub,
arms draped over the sides,
a cigarette in my lazy mouth.
In the misty mirror
dark eyes stare back at me.

I could lie here for hours without thinking.

There is a reason I can't
bring myself to look you
in the eyes.
Can't you see why I had to go?
I'm sorry I made you bleed,
but you learned so much more
than I wanted you to know.
Don't you wish you could just forget?

This city holds too many memories
for you,
and I'll always be the little girl
with skinny arms and stick-straight hair
who lived on Archer Avenue so many years before.
Now I'm friends with people that maybe
I never should have met.
And when we were young,
did you think I'd grow up so lost?

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
A perfectly disheartening poem, this is! Needless to say, however, it is extremely well written (sigh). It's a brilliant blend of grief and apathy, and I loved it despite its depressing words. Well done, my dear.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oh my, Teen Ink has done you quite an injustice.

karen_xo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate your sweet words. :) Of course, I owe the idea to Wes Anderson, director and writer of The Royal Tenenbaums. (Have you seen this film? If you haven't, I strongly recommend it!)

And now that we're on the topic, what's your opinion on the difference between plagiarism and inspiration? I've been inspired to write by several films, and I utilize their themes in my writing. And then there are all those notable authors who use other writers' work in thei... (more »)

I think that this is far from plagiarism. Films are meant to inspire, and ideas are often meant to be shared. I do think that it's always a good thing to clarify that you've been so closely inspired by another's work. Great poem, again.

Hannah G. replied...
Im inspired by paintings all the time.    

karen_xo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Teen Ink, why did you have to change the picture that I had chosen? L-O-V-E? Really? The point of my poem is to demonstrate apathy, the absence of love. "I can't recall the last time I cried/ or felt anything other than the/ momentary thrill of a short-lived affair."

I'm just not sure why you feel the need to change pictures that writers choose to fit their pieces.

IamtheStargirl replied...
Oh dear. Your poem's really good, thanks for sharing, and congrats on getting published :)