A Yarn | Teen Ink

A Yarn

February 17, 2010
By IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other
IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other
71 articles 20 photos 296 comments

Favorite Quote:
"As long as there is open road, the familiar has the most formidable competitor." - Anonymous


There was a boy, standing in the middle of the street. No, wait, that's not right. It was a dog, yes, that's it. And it wasn't the middle of the street. It was the corner. A dog was standing on the corner of the street.

The street was trimmed with neat hedges – wait, no, too suburban. The street was in the city, with people buzzing around, and it was night. Deep, black night, like evil. No, wait, give me a sec. That's wrong. Of course it wasn't night. It was day.

It was day, and the sun was beating down on the city, and there was a dog – no, actually, I lied. It was a cat who looked vaguely canine in the set of its ears and tail, and it was standing on the corner of the street. No, maybe it was the middle of the street. Yes, that's it, the middle.

And there were people all around, and they were hot because of the sun. Actually, there was no sun. It was a blizzard, and there were no people either, because it was a blizzard.

Come to think of it, there wasn't even a cat. Just a boy, standing in the middle of the street. Who looked like a dog. Who looked, I guess, a little like a cat.


The author's comments:
Okay, well, this is technically prose, but it's not really fiction. This was a writing practice in which we had to tell a very inconsistent story and constantly contradict ourselves. I thought it was funny.