They Don't Know Me

They don’t know me.

They think I’m just a quiet girl without enough courage to speak up for herself. The adjectives they use to describe me are smart and quiet. They know nothing about me.

They know nothing about the files stored on my computer, the thousands and thousands of beautiful words born from my brain.

They think I am just like everyone else, they do not have the intelligence to look past the surface and see who is buried beneath.

The funny thing is that I could change their perception of me in a moment. If I gave them all of my work, my poems, stories, and dreams they would see me in a different light.

But I don’t.

Everything I write has something of me in it, my essence, my feelings, my soul.

They don’t deserve to see it. They have done nothing to earn that right. I have nothing to prove to them.

DifferentTeenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 2, 2013 at 4:39 pm:
I love this! Describes how I feel about people who think I'm so sweet and innocent, I have seen some things in my life that would leave them wondering! I swear, I wish people weren't so judgmental.   Thank you for checking out my work by the way! I've been meaning to check out more of your work for a while but I got caught up in life. I look forward to reading more of your stuff this summer! Again, I loved this piece, great job!

Lexie96 said...
Sounds just like how people used to describe me... check out my work sometime?

imrighthereyouknow said...
Jun. 25, 2010 at 6:17 pm:
ok, this poem may as well be describing me... great job!

_Elsy_ said...
Jun. 25, 2010 at 10:27 am:
that was great. oddly, i can really relate to this though sometimes they think i don't talk at all Lol. btw-can you check out some of my stuff?

notebookladyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 29, 2011 at 5:37 pm :
I would be happy to read your work! thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I always appreciate them so much :)

kysh15 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 4, 2010 at 8:10 pm:
oh my gosh! this is so good! i can really relate, check out some of my stuff?

notebookgirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 5, 2010 at 4:09 pm :
i will thanks for your comment