Alone | Teen Ink

Alone

By SunshyneSky GOLD, Oakdale, California
SunshyneSky GOLD, Oakdale, California

Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Your mother and I had it, we had roots that grew towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossom had fallen from our branches we found that we were one tree and not two."

Seeing through your lies

Doors open and out time flies

Who cares what all we went through

All I can do

Is let go

Take pain slow

Drawing it into my veins

With each new love my heart strains

From memories of ours

Oh, how time scars

New faces leave me much regret

But with my love I take a bet

On how much it’s even worth

Without you I have now worth

I’m worthless, pity driving each day

You’re gone, I’m angry, how can you leave me this way?

Alone, you leave me so

Alone, a field of weeds,

Alone, a raft at sea,

Alone

have_a_heart GOLD, Jackson, New Jersey

Parting is all we know of heaven and all we need of hell.

I really liked this poem. I thought it was easy to understand and had emotion. other poems try to be too profound but i thought the simplicity really helped convey the message. it was amazing.

LihuaEmily SILVER, North Kingstown, Rhode Island

"It is said that there's no such thing as a free lunch. But the universe is the ultimate free lunch." -Alan Guth

This was perfect. It tells so much but is subtle enough to be a shapely poem.

Fredwardness SILVER, Romeo, Michigan

"The stars are blazing like rebel diamonds cut out of the sun" -The Killers (Read My Mind)

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -George Harrison

The rhyming really takes away from this. I couldn't really get into this poem...it didn't feel like you put emotion behind this.