The Not-So-Promising Possible Future This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

No idea about what's going on,
They think the capital of Mexico's Iran.
They probably couldn't tell you who their governor is,
They're too busy worrying about if their soda has enough fizz.
The most important thing on their minds
Is their next shopping trip, and the sales they'll find.
They're only into “going green” because it's “in,”
And because there are cute clothes that say, “Not Recycling Is a Sin.”

But they are blind to the world that surrounds them,
And they allow others to form opinions for them.

Has thinking for oneself become obsolete?
Is it now un-cool to be smart?
Are clones of brainless celebrities what you want to see?
Originality torn to shreds?
A new generation of followers?

In today's world, I experience these people every day.
I'm scared to say that the amount of them is increasing
And I can't help but think that these are the people who will soon be:
Voting in our elections for whomever their friends are voting for,
Driving when drunk,
Flunking out of college,
And maxing out credit cards they had no intention of paying for in the first place.
Is this the future you wish to see? The change won't be coming on its own or from someone else. Only you can shape your future, by the choices you, as an independent individual, make.

You want a free ride?
You think you're entitled to everything and anything without putting forth the effort and doing the work?

If you do, then I hope you're not calling yourself an American. Our founding fathers and mothers did not work their butts off, gaining our independence as a nation, only to have it taken over by the lazy and uneducated.

CrazySquid said...
amazing poem....and although i know alot of people likes this that doesnt meen everyone is...you are proof of that so, so have some hope :)

TaylorSwiftMusic4Life This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 3, 2010 at 10:13 pm :
Thank you (: And, yes, I know not everyone is this way. Sometimes I need to have those kinds of things pointed out to me :) When I wrote this, I was really on a rant haha but I wanted it to wake people up. But, thank you, I do have hope when I read comments like yours (:

WritingLoverForever said...
I love this. It goes very in depth with the issues in the world, and you express your opinions on these issues very well.  And I completely agree with everything you mentioned. What is this world coming to anyway? The future of America's children is looking very bleak right now.

Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:40 pm :
Thank you (: Yes, it is looking bleak, but we can all do something to help. It's people like you and me who it's up to!

krazeecasey13 said...
this is like
the life i see at my school
exactly.
its horrible!

Jan. 28, 2010 at 9:02 pm :
I know, it's horrible! Kids have no idea! It's like, "Hello?! Wake up!!" They're in their own little worlds...a plastic bubble that needs to be popped open.

Powd3er said...
Jan. 28, 2010 at 11:30 am:
This poem has great flow and insight.
I really enjoyed it.
Lovely poem darling =]
-Please check out the works that I have posted on here it would be highly appreciated and I think you would greatly enjoy them, Thankk youz-
XxIll tell you Im an orphan after you meet myy familyXx

Jan. 28, 2010 at 2:36 pm :
Thank you (: It sucks that I had to even write something like that, though. But, it's true and it's a growing problem. People need to understand that without hard-working, honest people, this world will not survive. So, how do they expect our own country to? It's all a big mess and it will only continue unless people wake up. I honestly feel like slapping people sometimes for the things they say. Ignorance is my worst enemy and my biggest pet peeve. Anyways, thanks for the comment... (more »)