Sidewalk Sighs | Teen Ink

Sidewalk Sighs

By spaghetti6 BRONZE, Redwood City, California
spaghetti6 BRONZE, Redwood City, California

Curbside denial, crushing pebbles
Beneath the soles of your shoes,
Whiffs of cut grass seeping
Into our seams out of place
In the sharp autumn air.
We are pockets of two,
Not touching as all around
Us each curl of color
Settles beneath a cloud,
And the sky changes without
Sound or ceremony.

I'm writing to submit my poem "Sidewalk Sighs." This is my first time submitting; after perusing your website I've concluded it seems like a good fit, based on the encouraging community of peers that share suggestions and insight, and the laid-back vibe of the web's set-up. In spite of the very impressive work I read here, Teen Ink seems like a place that welcomes beginners.

This poem is about a girl who feels far away from the boy she is with, although they are technically close in proximity. She muses about the changing nature of their relationship by describing their surroundings in detail. I was inspired by looking at clouds while driving home that were particularly pretty. They made me feel relaxed and happy, but then I got to thinking how universal things, like nature, could mean radically different things to different people, depending on their individual circumstances. The notion captured my imagination.

I'm a high school student, a senior. This semester I took a creative writing class and very much enjoyed it. As I mentioned, I've never submitted anywhere before, but the submission process, and writing in general, is very exciting. Thank you for your time!