Belita

I look at my Belita
And suddenly
She is a book
I read the wrinkles by her eyes
That I know are from smiles past
Crinkly smiles full of laughter
And I breathe in the scent
Like the smell of an old book
Steaming rice and
Musty cellars
And Shalimar perfume
I see coca-colored
hands that have worked so hard
And now they’re trembling
Because it’s like she’s
Surprised
That there’s no work
And I think
When I have lived so many
Many years
On this earth
Will I be as wise?
Because I know that when I am
A grandmother
I won’t care about how quickly
I can run off my times table
I’ll care if I can do
The things that I love about my Belita
Like making rice
And cream
Ironing shirts so they look
Brand new
Finding the cheapest deals
At Market Basket
I think
Will I have trembling hands
Waiting to work?
And I think
One day who will read me
Like a book?

maggiebar1 said...
i love this... its actually funny because when i was little i couldnt say my mexican grandmas name right either and i called her teeta... well thts wat it sounded like it was spelled tita i just didnt want any confusion... haha ;) could you comment on some of my work? Plllleease??:)

AprilNeon said...
Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:31 pm:

Wow! This is so comfy-cozy and old fashioned; my favorite kinda poem. This reminds me especially of a poem I read last year though I don't remember the title; it had a line about crinkly smiles too... 

Anyhow GREAT job. 

EleanorRigbysGospelofPeaceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:14 pm:
WOW! This is great! I have read a lot of your other work, and I love all of it. You have a true talent for writing, and I love how I really can't find anything to provide constructive criticism for! Congratulations on being an amazing author. :)

awesomeaugust This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 3, 2010 at 2:51 pm :
Thank you so m uch! Your comment means so much, esspecially coming from such a fantastic author-I've read quite a few of you articles, and loved them all :)

EleanorRigbysGospelofPeaceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 3, 2010 at 5:11 pm :
Thanks! I love it when people read my work, so thank you very, very much! I look forward to seeing some new work of yours. :)