I Hate

I hate the way she smiles,
I hate the way she grins.
I hate the way her eyes light up
when happiness is the mood she's in.
I hate the way she effortlessly
pulls off this word called grace,
but, mostly, I hate the way she makes that look come on your face.
I hate the way I always know that you do think of her,
I hate the way that, when you do, your face gets a happy glow.
I hate the way you shut me down, just as she's walking by
I hate the way you always, ALWAYS have to say goodbye.
I hate the way you spike your hair
I hate the clothes that you wear
I hate the way, no matter what I do, you're always there
I hate the way you take my crap, and don't judge me anyway
I hate the way you say hello
I hate the way you stare.
I hate the way you always know, just how to make me smile
I hate the way I just tell you everything, just way, way out of style
I hate the way that you're so perfect
and just make me laugh
effortlessly.
I hate the way
you're everything I ever wanted to be.
I hate the way you call me friend
I hate it when you never call
and the problem is, I don't hate you
I don't hate anything at all.

kelsey2097 said...
omg i love this so muchh!

writersheart said...
OK, take it like this - when you're a little kid (or at least when I was) the way I wrote was copying JK Rowling. Not copying as in I went out and wrote the Harry Potter book and said, "mommy, mommy, look what I wrote!", I used her style, the same general concept. In this way, I got better as a writer.
Or a better example - in English class we're studying a poem called 13 Ways of Looking at a Blackbird. One of the assignments relating to this was to write a poem written... (more »)

acousticalex This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
There is a clear distinction between being inspired by something and outright stealing it. That's why copyright laws exist. The poem in 10 Things I Hate About You was original because its intent was original; the fact that others have felt the same and written about the same general concept was irrelevant because 1) as you seem to be arguing, -complete- originality is unattainable in art and 2) the format was unique to the medium it was being presented in. The writers of the script were con... (more »)

Jan. 19, 2010 at 1:07 am:
Imitation might be the sincerest form of flattery but no one ever said anything about it making good writing or art. This is a clear ripoff. Passing off someone else's work or ideas as ones own is the definitin of plagiarism. Or just a lack of creativity. I understand that it's one good way to learn but when I used to write lyrics to the melodies of other people's songs to practice my own writing I didn't play them for other people and expect praise for my talent and original... (more »)

writersheart replied...
Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:07 am :
You're right - how can I take inspiration from something else? In fact, I shouldn't ever write a poem trying to describe a bird, because that bird is not my original work, I'm obviously copying it. Or maybe just poetry in general. We should ban the entire art of Haiku b/c someone thought of it first and it takes absolutely no skill to just use that format and fill in your own words. Oh, and speaking of which, we should ban concerts where the great musicians play the work of Beetho... (more »)

dadysgirl1516 said...
Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:28 am:
O my god this such a good poem. It brought me to tears. keep writing please.

LuLu95 said...
ive been through something like this before, but if i hadnt i think this poem would have made it easy to understand how it feels. it has great description and i love it

jujums1 said...
I was curious to see how the poem would end and it really is similar to the movie people already commented about. But I thought this came straight out of you, and it actually made me want to meet this so powerful "her". It's really amazing to see how others can captivate us in ways they sometimes don't imagine...

alex9426 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 16, 2010 at 10:09 am:
i really liked this poem. yes, it's similar to to 10 things i hate about you, but who cares? imitation is the highest form of flattery

dadysgirl1516 replied...
Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:30 am :
O my gosh thats what it reminded me of too!

carmello13 said...
Jan. 15, 2010 at 9:22 am:
wow love ur peom it really good..i really like how u took ur idea from the movie 10 thing i hate about u and put ur own words into it that was sweet

MuchoImportante said...
acousticalex is right, and I noticed it, too. You sort of copied the poem from Ten Things I Hate About You with Heath Ledger. There were even exact lines from the movie. Maybe you haven't seen it before, but this poem was strikingly similar to the one in the movie.

writersheart replied...
Jan. 14, 2010 at 12:30 am :
sometimes the best way to learn is through impersonation.

Jhazy said...
Jan. 13, 2010 at 9:45 am:
wow wow! awesome i feel like this so i know what you are talking about. so nice very nice keep it up.

INnaturegirl said...
Jan. 11, 2010 at 7:16 am:
ok yeah it's like that but i still love it keep writing ur great :D

What a rip-off of Ten Things I Hate About You. Sorry. It's sad that no one else caught that.

dadysgirl1516 replied...
Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:32 am :
Don't be a hater he made his own.

Daniel W. said...
Jan. 10, 2010 at 9:07 am:
That is excellent, poet. This tells who you are as an individual. 5 stars!

JUST_ARIELLE:( said...
i luv it. its like u want 2 hate them but u cant insted u rlly like the person. :(

Agatha25 said...
this is really clever luv itxxx