The Silencing of the world | Teen Ink

The Silencing of the world

December 1, 2009
By RougeOlympian PLATINUM, Northbrook, Illinois
RougeOlympian PLATINUM, Northbrook, Illinois
20 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence.
-Benjamin Franklin


The sky moves outward ever-changing,

Constant yet inconstant at all times.

The moon waxes to the point of no return, and time seems to stop as the ongoing abyss that is the universe is silenced.

My mind is flooded with ideas old as time yet as new an eagles all seeing eye.

Anticipation for the moment the world will return to motion grows, but fades when the epiphany that nothing changed, the world is not silent and the cities still don’t sleep.

Stillness is everywhere yet nowhere .

Confusion is overwhelming yet utterly diminished by the strength the new thoughts possess.

Everyone is neither here, nor there, but in some odd culmination of the two.

Either way the moment of silence continues to ring in my ears.
Whether it even existed I know not.


The author's comments:
I had been stairing out the window of my bus, as I do everyday. I saw a hawk in the sky and focused in on in. It was a marvel to behold. It was then that I realized the world was silent. I had blocked out any and everybody in the world. Not just that, I had blocked out myself. My inspiration for this piece, was the lone hawk that circles lazily in the sky.