The Funeral This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Champagne and chocolate cake, he said,
the dead man.
They listened
of course they did. But they know Death
and he is not
champagne and chocolate.

Try as you like,
funerals
are all the same.

Celebrate, he said,
the dead man.
But still
they have dressed themselves in black.

All, that is, but the little boy.
Grandson, perhaps?
He has lost mother
wandering
knee-high
among suit-clad giants.
His shirt is baby blue and
still wide-eyed for the touch of life
he laughs at their shiny black shoes, click-clicking on the church-stone floor.

He is a blue jay
in a flock
of crows.

No more grandpa. He doesn't understand.

“Do you remember him?” they'll ask, years from now, dead concern still lingering in their eyes.

“No.
Not really.” Pause.
“I was still
a blue jay then.”

Wilson1994 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
More than beautiful, an experience of death as a child could not be more true than through this poem. You have a great talent, hope to see more work like this!

This is more than beautiful, we have all experienced death and my experience as a child of losing family was exactly like this. You have a great talent.

EmilyDs This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is very touching and written with a personal sense of the character

bluegirl440 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow this is absolutly beautiful.....

CammyLashay said...
True work at mind

yomaster said...
Wow!!! SO beautiful and true!

kysh15 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like this poem

This*Lit*Is*Bananas This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 2, 2010 at 9:24 am
Wow, this is great. I loved the imagery, especially the part about the little boy. It's touching but sad. Great work! :)