The Truth About Growing Up This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

We promised that forever
We’d never grow too old
To dig up clay with our stubby
Fingernails, and let it cook
In the scorching summer sun,
And bite our lips with concentration
As we pound down spades
In an intense game of spit,
And lie perfectly still together
Until we fell asleep under a castle
Of sheets and beach chairs.
We didn’t know that forever
Was as empty as the teacups
We sipped from and as real
As the games we dreamed up.

mereCatThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You are brilliant. Not only was the writing sheer quality, the feeling and the meaning touched me deeply. When I was six I wanted to be six forever and each year I cling on harder to the childhood I know I'll outgrow one day.

bahannahpeel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This makes me want to cry. As real as our dreams, empty as the teacups we sipped... beautiful. 

Sketched97 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:56 am
The part about teacups is clever and very moving.

aeb119 said...
please make a continuation of this please so that it will make it easier i think i may perform the song from your poem with my BFFs

aeb119 said...
hey that was so good i hope i become a singer or song writer and maybe i can make it into a song because i wrote it in my song book and tried singing it it sounds so beautiful!!! : D

rzbaker said...
wow, that was really good! My favorite part was the last couple of lines, kinda a little twist at the end. . . it made me gasp for sure! tee hee but I also like you spacing and were yo u placed your pauses. . . were well thought out!

Twilightnme said...
May 21, 2009 at 3:44 am
Wow! Hmmm... I like it. Very springy and nice. Great details too! Woo Hoo!

Vincent C. said...
May 21, 2009 at 12:46 am
This captures so accurately the essence of what I'm feeling right now.

bookhugger14 said...
i luvvv the figurative language and it sounds just like what i did when i was little!!! great job :)

Olympians said...
that is very good:]