The Reality of My Nightmares | Teen Ink

The Reality of My Nightmares

By mackara_lynn_rose BRONZE, Coeur D Alene, Idaho
mackara_lynn_rose BRONZE, Coeur D Alene, Idaho

"The moon taught me it's ok to go through phases and the sun taught me that no matter how many times I fall, I can still keep rising."
"Your value does not decrease based on someone's inability to see your worth."

Some days I can't tell the difference between my nightmares and reality.

I dream of unexplainable evil then wake up in a cold sweat, tears rolling down my face and it is pitch. black.

I live in a world where that exact same evil wears a crown of wickedness and roams the earth as if he is the mighty king.

He gets inside the minds of the innocent and twists their hopes and dreams into endless fear.

He is uninvited and unwanted yet he still slithers his way into people's lives, destroying them simply because he wants to.

He gives life to our inner demons in hopes that they will tear us apart, piece by piece.

He brings death to good people because he is terrified at the mere thought of someone who might shed even the slightest bit of light on this earth he has made so dark.

He uses our grief to morph us into lost souls

He takes down whatever is good because it is a threat to his very existence.

Evil is a vile creature that will stop at nothing to make us feel pain words can't describe.

We will never “get over” that pain; we can only get through it. Day by day. Moment by moment.

And we cannot stop Evil for it is inevitable.

But we can control whether or not it takes hold of our own lives.

So when you're having a nightmare and you wake up in a cold sweat, tears rolling down your face and it is pitch. black...

Just remember to turn on the light.

I wrote this shortly after the death of my mom and one of my best friends. I had nightmares all the time about them. My mother's death was caused by an addiction she had to some pain meds she was prescribed. My friend's death was a suicide. The overwhelming anger I felt towards the evil that overtook and ended their lives is what drove me to write this poem.