January 5, 2019 | Teen Ink

January 5, 2019

May 20, 2019
By WallflowerForTheGays PLATINUM, Pasadena, California
WallflowerForTheGays PLATINUM, Pasadena, California
21 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can never have Everest if you don't have a valley."
- Eric Scott Gould


If at any point the thought "At least he doesn't hit me" comes into your mind, run.

Most relationships start the same.

You meet a guy.

You start to have feelings for said guy.

You fall in love.

You think he is the most kind, caring, and loving guy in the entire world.

Things are great, you spend so much time together, and you couldn't imagine life any better.

But then comes the fighting.

First, it's just once in a blue moon,

Then, it's all of the time.

He does something to hurt your feelings, but instead of validating those feelings and resolving the issue, he switches the argument to you.

To the things you've done wrong.

Your flaws.

And suddenly, you're crying.

You're apologizing.

You're begging him to stay.

You don't realize what he's done.

But this happens over and over again.

It might even go as far as you catching him doing something behind your back or lying to you.

You confront him and you tell him how he hurt you.

"Well, you nag me every day. You're suffocating. Maybe I should leave you. Maybe we should just end things."

Sobbing.

Apologizing.

Begging.

“Please don’t leave me. I’ll change. I’m sorry.”

You hate the way you look and who you are.

Maybe today he pointed out that you dress too provocatively and he doesn't like it.

But all you're wearing is a cute top and shorts.

So you start wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt to hide your body.

To make him happy.

But it doesn't stop.

Now your makeup is too much. Why would you wear makeup for anyone other than him?

So, you go about your next days without makeup.

"Couldn't you dress up a little? Put in some effort?"

He belittles you.

He talks down to you like you're nothing but dirt under his shoes.

You spend every day wondering how you can fix yourself, how you can make yourself enough for him.

But the truth is, he's not enough for you.

If he turns arguments around on you when you're trying to explain your feelings of hurt to him, he's not enough for you.

If he makes you feel bad about what you wear or the innocent acts of kindness you show to people, he's not enough for you.

If he yells and screams and belittles, he's not enough for you.

If he chooses everyone and everything over you and refuses to make time for you, he's not enough for you.

If you give him everything you have inside yourself - all the love, care, effort, and compassion you have - and he doesn't give you anything back, he's not enough for you.

I know it hurts.

I know it's easier to deny to truth.

I know he may make you feel like you will never find anyone that is better than him.

But trust me, the man of your dreams is out there.

His life is molding and preparing him for your love that he doesn't even know exists yet.

And you'll finally have someone who is completely and truly enough for you.

Don't settle for second-best, darling.