Ode to the Weary Math Student This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Math Student
Woe to the math student,
In an advanced class,
Who tries oh so hard,
And yet can’t seem to pass
The equations are evil,
The numbers, nonsense
And all the test grades
Contain dark suspense

Woe to the math student,
A slave to the book
Odd answers are in back –
Oh so tempting to look
Who studies for hours,
And stares at the page,
The body is paralyzed,
But inside, so much rage

Woe to the math student,
Doomed to the grave,
If surviving to the bell,
The soul may be saved,
But oh, when returned home
There awaits homework,
The student, in despair,
Calls the teacher a jerk

Woe to the math student
Who will surely die
The numbers are deadly,
And no one knows why
The brain has shut down,
The body is weak,
And oh, what’s awaiting
In math class next week?

HafsaAhmedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sep. 16 at 1:18 am
i love this poem even though i love maths and my math's teacher!

raysofsunshine said...
May 29 at 7:29 pm
I like your tone throughout the poem! The theme of the poem is definently relatable, math teachers give a large amount of homework and it is not fun to do! The use of language in this poem clearly captures your feelings for the subject, good job!

imgailThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
this was so great because it is so relatable yet very well written

Abby96 said...
So relatable! No matter how hard I try I can never excell at math...

emsolsen said...
love love love!!!

KatsK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It took me three hours to do 10 Trig problems (because yes, you should do Trig for one day in 8th grade) and I still failed the assignment.

Yeah, I failed several tests this year, and got C- or lower on almost all of my homework. We had a teacher who didn't teach very well, and I'm in the advanced class. She always talked about how smart we were because we're in the advanced class. None of us (except for the geniuses who're good at everything) understood it.

Alyssa.N.S. said...
So true!!! Wonderful poem!

Sweetie2toCute said...
Jan. 31, 2012 at 10:46 am
I Know How You Feel Bout The Math In Math Class. Math Isnt My Best Subject. Anywhoo I Like This Poem Alot.

JinxedLoverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I know exactly how you feel math is a very easy class for me and once i took over the substitutes spot as the teacher the whole period, just cause i knew what i knew what i was doing.

JinxedLoverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
darn it was supposed to go under someone elses comment, oops lol

NERDYCHICK said...
Advanced math since 5th grade... I totally sympathize. It's killing me now!

eliana924 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I happen to love math, but your poem is so great that I feel I'm in your shoes.

Marek said...
In advanced math since 4th, but this...at points and with finals so true.......

DebbieShamThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

oh my gosh seriously was the story of my life! Have to study for many hours to do well in math!

great poem!

raggedyanarchy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
SO relatable.........i can't do math to save my life. And i got put in this advanced class when i so obviously deserve to be in the normal.

ithinkiminhell said...
great job

Alon_Freevoice said...
Aug. 1, 2011 at 6:21 am
Great article! I like Math though... :)))

Archery-nerd replied...
Oh my goodness, it's all so true!!! Awesome job!!

poet.lover said...
s made me laugh! I am a great math studnt but sometimes you just can't help to feel exactly like the way you described.