Daniel

Was walking through the forest, I
Was thinking of a time.
When heroes didn’t fight with swords
And still they conquered crime.

Was sitting on a fallen log,
and trying to forget.
The things around me faded, and
I saw a silhouette.

It was a boy, from long ago,
He came before my eyes.
His name was Daniel, he was young
but he seemed very wise.

He touched the frown upon my lips,
And asked me what was wrong.
“It’s fear,” I said, “It’s everywhere,
The brave don’t stay for long.”

He smiled and withdrew from me,
I thought him gone for good.
But then I looked and saw him come,
And fearfully, I stood.

“What is that thing that you have there?”
I asked in puzzled voice.
“It’s nothing but a story, girl,
the power of a choice.”

I asked why a choice would tell me
How courage can be found.
He laughed again and said to just
Listen without a sound.

“Once ago,” he said to me, and
I stood breathlessly.
“There was a boy who loved a God,
who loved him endlessly.

“In fact he was so honest and
hardworking that God smiled.
But others who were jealous thought
Him backwards and defiled.

“One day they worked a plan out, that
would trap him and condemn.
The king must be worshipped by all,
No other god but him.

“The wicked men sat by and watched,
The boy heard of the law.
And while he knew the danger, he
Prayed where the others saw.

“A boy not bound by temptation
or fear or any threat.
They threw him in the lion’s den,
To pay the martyr’s debt.

“They underestimated the
kind of courage that heals.
That heals instead of waving swords,
A prayer, a faith that’s real.

“God shut the lions’ mouths so that
they would not devour.
A wild tamed and subdued, to
Save a boy with great power.”

The boy was finished speaking then,
He settled on the ground.
He looked so peacefully at ease,
A calmness very loud.

At last I had to say my part,
That I did not believe.
“The boy was saved by God,” I said,
“Not courage — he’s naïve.”

“Innocence and faith can do what
violence never can.
Who’s more brave, the soldier or
The boy who hates no man?

“Love will never destroy what
is brave or kind or true.
The bravest act of all holds not
A sword, but pure virtue.”

He vanished and I searched about,
But couldn’t find his face.
And then I knew, without a doubt,
The boy knew God’s embrace.

He must have been an angel sent
From somewhere up above.
To teach me what true courage is,
A never-ending love.

I thought about the story that
Daniel had told to me.
And realized I was wrong about
The boy in the story.

It’s not when facing lions that
Your courage comes to call.
It’s trusting God no matter what
And jumping in at all.

TheEpic95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 1:12 am:
Aha! Found you! My friend lost her Brilliance (long story) and asked me to catch it, an you are OBVIOUSLY in posession if more than one person's worth of Brilliances! No....? Okay, sorry. Aparently, this is just your normal Awesomeness. An honest mistake! Move along...

RarelyJadedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 1:45 am :
lol, um....thank you? I'll take that as a compliment :)   You're so funny Epic

carolinestarrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 25 at 4:03 pm:
You asked me for critiques, s here we go! First of all, this is an excellent poem! I absolutely love it! I would reccomend maybe watching the length of your lines, especially the ones that rhyme. It sounds kind of funny when one line is much longer, or even ust a few syllables longer, than the other. I know rhyming is hard, but there are some words thatsound like you put them there just to continue the rhyming pattern. Additionally, who is David (the character in the poem, not from the Bible) su... (more »)

Mar. 25 at 4:10 pm :
Yeah, I realize some of the rhyming was strained. David was supposed to be a figment of her imagination, more like an allegory, that appeared to her from "heaven" as an answer to her prayers. It was supposed to give her hope that there was still brave, kind people in the world :). Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it!

carolinestarrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 25 at 9:03 pm :
Okay. I was thinking it was something along those lines. And you're welcome! I can not stress enough how much I love this poem! 

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 14 at 6:11 pm:
Love how you used a Biblical story as your theme. :)

Mar. 14 at 7:58 pm :
Thanks! But it could have been less obvious I guess.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 15 at 1:40 pm :
Why do you think it should have been less obvious?

Mar. 16 at 12:47 pm :
because writing about daniel as a boy to an anonymous girl was supposed to be allegorical:) but it ended up being more literal. 

Artgirl1999This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 13 at 9:40 am:
Oh my gosh, this was SO GOOD! I'm favoriting it right now! I loved your word choice, the descriptions, the message, everything. Loved it.

Mar. 13 at 10:31 am :
Thank you!!

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 20 at 10:44 am:
WOW WOW WOW...Rarely Jaded, I am in love with this poem. I love the theme, I love the story told, I love the words, I love everything about it,..And when you said, "Listen without a sound" : EPIC...Though some people may say it's two things with the same meaning in one line but I love it when poets manipulate words like that..And the last stanzas, the ones before whom comes that breakpoint, it's wonderful how you expressed that change of heart and perspective....just beautifull... (more »)

Feb. 20 at 3:52 pm :
Thanks saphira:) lol I still get a kick outa your name!

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 21 at 12:06 pm :
You're welome!! ANd I'm glad :D

Poetic_PersonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 17 at 3:39 pm:
“Innocence and faith can do what violence never can. Who’s more brave, the soldier or The boy who hates no man?" I love love love this. A lot. You are awesome. That is all.

Feb. 17 at 5:52 pm :
Aww, thank you! That really means a lot, I'm glad you liked it:)

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 16 at 12:19 pm:
  This is inspiring. You write about faith very well, and I know it can’t come easy. You’re message here is beautiful.

AlexandrathepoetThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 12 at 3:25 pm:
I find this poem incredably amazing, and so touching. I think this is one of the best poems I have seen on this site.

Feb. 12 at 4:33 pm :
Wow, thank you for the amazing compliment! It means a lot:)

RedneckWomenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 12 at 9:51 am:
I really like this.