Lonely Fires

I look up at the starry sky,
See the glow of fires.
Could it be the agony of
Lonely hearts' desires?

Because I burn, I know I burn
When feeling lost, alone.
Could they be children, be people,
Who shine, who need a home?

Is that why the earth gravitates,
Revolves around a star?
Is it some crying deity
Who fears we’ll drift too far?

And earth binds us to its sad self,
Watching us with our own,
Quakes, tembles, in horror that
We scream to be alone.

And moons are far from satisfied
Though their pulls are slightest,
I've seen how their rough, barren ‘scape
At times will burn brightest.

The Manly Moon, Motherly Earth,
Who hold us to their hearts
Know that we need to be loved
And dread the day we part.

At times when I look up at stars
I don't feel as alone,
It seems to wish and yearn for me,
And makes me feel at home.

So stars so bright, with yearning lights,
Please keep up your fires.
Because my wish from you tonight
Is comfort from your pyres.

And if my own flames can be seen
By some Galactic Child
And make him smile, then why not burn
To comfort him a while.

micshea99This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:49 am:
LOVEEEEE ITTTT

Mandy22 said...
Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:00 am:
Wow! This is amazingly well written.

TheEpic95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:18 am :
Thank you, Mandy.

TaylerNoelle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
whoa. but I have to ask--why is the moon manly?

LoudDreamerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:36 pm :
Well, we start off on the earth, it's where we're born. The gravity is strong, and it's hard for us to leave it. Its like a mother holding you close, asking you to stay. But the moon is beside you rather than holding you, hovering beside you and the earth. It dosen't hold you as tight when you struggle free of the earth to get there, but in my metaphore it still is bright and full of light, it still longs for it as much as any parent. So it seems to me the earth is feminine and t... (more »)

Delmara replied...
Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:14 pm :
TaylerNoelle made me laugh. I had that exact question. I love your reply. Beautiful poem. It has dignity, gravity.

Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:19 am :
Im glad you think so, Delmara. Though, it is ironic that you thinknit has gravity ;)

Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:20 am :
Sorry, nerd-pun.

Delmara replied...
Aug. 5, 2013 at 5:16 pm :
Mwahaha--I met it as a pun :D

Aug. 5, 2013 at 8:24 pm :
Lol, wonderful! Humor after my own heart.

pitt98 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:28 pm:
Good Job! 

Jun. 30, 2012 at 7:20 pm :
Thanks! Glad you think so.

Gypsyroses said...
May 9, 2012 at 5:43 pm:
Wow. Seriously Wow. This blew me away. I'm in like shock.

May 9, 2012 at 5:51 pm :
Haha, Thankyou! This is one of my favorites among my own work.

Behind_a_Plastic_Smile said...
Mar. 13, 2012 at 6:35 pm:
wow this is jus amazing and beautifully written your flow and diction is jus wonderful you can really see the talent behind the piece

Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:33 am :
Haha, thankyou! This is, quite honestly, the first poem where I really paid atention to meter. This poem was a mess before I reworked it, I really think it helped.

NickyJ said...
Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:09 pm:
Favorite line: "Is comfort from your pyres". I think thats just a great use of language. It's an uncommon word as well and its pretty cool to see it used in such a fitting way.

This poem really does roll off the toungue. There are no bumps or trips reading this, and that's impressive.

Rated 5/5 :D

Mar. 3, 2012 at 5:06 pm :
Yes, thankyou. It was an easy rhyme, so I was scared of using it. then I looked up the word pyre. "a heap or pile of wood or other combustible material, esp one used for cremating a corpse"- Dictionary dot com. What better word could I have used? If loneliness and other miseries are a burning, then a burning emptiness, then a funeral fire fits.

Mar. 3, 2012 at 5:10 pm :

Hmmm, my reply didn't post.

I really didn't want to use such an easy rhyme, but when I remembered what it meant it was just too perfect not to. If stars are people and their light is burning lonliness and silent suffering, then a funeral fire works prefectly.

cassidybrooke93 said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 3:31 pm:
This is lovely. I really enjoyed reading it. There is just something about it that is so intriguing. I liked it a lot. You're extremely talented :)