I Had A Dream

I dreamed I went to a strange place,
An oppressed, dreary land,
Where government bows its head
To violent outlaw bands.

Instead it preys on weak and good
With taxes they don't need,
And to true crime their eyes they hood,
And ignore who did the deed.

Most leaders let drug lords roam free,
Abuse drugs, and power too,
Or don't know who these culprits are
And hide them when they do.

Some try to get away, to flee
This place where crime is rule.
Or give in, rebelling at nothing,
Accepting fate as cruel.

O Why don't they take fate in hand?
I'd rally to their side!
Why not throw down the failures and
Lift up some worthy guides?

Why do I care what happens here?
Why not leave them alone?
Why care if dreams exist in fear?
Why not wake up, go home?

Because I see why they fell though,
Progress slowed to a crawl.
I see and fear my nation too
Has now begun it's fall.

ramona7This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 11:49 am:
thanks alot.... your poem reminded me one of my own works.."whisper of apocalypse"...progress has slowed to a crawl....my fav line.actually, and unfortunately, this is true. our world is slowly ebbying towards the bitter  hatred, lust, corruption.and ....DESPAIR. and this world will soon be in our hands... a scary thought. but we need to stand up and face our fears, wipe away our tears, change ourselves for good, and then MARCH ON.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 28 at 3:54 pm:
Very prophetic. I feel this way of our current society. This a special peice. You should be very proud of this.

TheEpic95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 28 at 11:18 pm :
I am! I wrote this as I was starting out, just getting my poetic feet under me. This was one of my first "real" works. Writing this made me feel like a true poetess.

AmayaEcho said...
Jan. 1 at 7:30 pm:
This is a really unique perspective on our world from someone our age.  I'm intrigued.

Mar. 28 at 11:16 pm :
Thank you. :)

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:37 am:
Not bad, not bad at all! Reading this I wanted to raise up my fist and protest and demand change. 5/5

LoudDreamerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 25, 2012 at 9:01 pm :
Haha! Well, I guess my work here is done. I glad you liked it and found in moving!

Audrey2 said...
This is really good! This is the only piece I've ever read that pulls off rhyming while still being serious. Good job!

Dec. 22, 2011 at 6:25 pm :
I wasn't sure that I managed to mantain the serious nature of it. I wrote it about a year ago and the rhymes in it were pretty cheesy at the time, I was worried I'd ruined the tone of it. Thank you.

Kneubeiser4This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The start of this poem really drew me in and it is very applicable to a lot countries today. I liked that you questioned a lot because it really gets your reader thinking and answering the questions for themselves. And I agree with SBI that this was very well put together. Good job!

Dec. 12, 2011 at 11:49 am :
Thankyou. That was just what I was trying to do. To get people to think about issues. If I had just gone off about what I thought had caused those issues, then someone who disagrees might not have even been willing to recognize these things as being present. That is why I ended it where I did. It makes them think, "Yeah, there are issues like that. What was it that caused them again....?" and are encouraged to persue this line of thought, they are more likly to accept it if they arrive at t... (more »)

SwallowedByInsanity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Brilliantly worded, it was like a story unfolding in a poem. I like that, rather than busting out an idea as the first line and then ranting for the next few stanzas. Very well put together, keep writing!

Dec. 10, 2011 at 12:28 pm :
Thankyou, SBI, I worked hard on this and am very glad you liked it!

TheWillowTree2 replied...
Dec. 11, 2011 at 7:02 pm :
Great work, I like the feel of it. It has good flow.

Dec. 11, 2011 at 7:04 pm :
Thanks!!!!!!!!!

applesauceHater said...
again, you can tell the tale true. another wonderfull poem that rings with sadness:)so far:)i really like your work

Dec. 9, 2011 at 7:55 am :
Thank you, Apple! I am glad to hear that you like this!

AngelsLullabyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 8, 2011 at 10:55 am:
I love this poem! Its fantastic and so true. 5/5 stars.

Dec. 8, 2011 at 11:16 am :
Thankyou, Lullaby! Im glad you liked it!

julywinters1226This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
very good.I like the details and meaning put into it.:)