Autumn Song

In stopping on the silent path
And breathing in the quiet air
And listening for nothing there,
I heard the nothing say:

We are small and we are brave
Marching through and passing by;
Brothers of the silken moon,
Daughters of the treeless sky.

We are stars, in death so small
We are ants, from blackness born:
Our silent work, our silent lives
Do not deserve the giants’ scorn

For we, immortal, underground
In perfect silence sing our songs:
You are here, and this is now,
And soon, O giant, you’ll be gone.

milforce said...
Oh my gosh, I love this so much! It's really amazing!! Honestly, I think this is my favorite poem and that's not out of just the poems here on TeenInk! Awesome work!

StrangeJade This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 31, 2011 at 8:39 am
Wow, thank you! ^-^ Favourite poem, huh? I'm honored! :)

PaigeStreet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is a good treatment of Autumn. Some lines, such as the giants' scorn one, don't make much sense within the narrative, but the metaphors are great. 

Thank you very much!

SagaLiSela This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love the irony of singing songs it silence. It's strong, rebellious, and moving! This piece reads beautifully. I found myself reading it aloud!

Wow! :) That's new. I'm glad you liked it that much.

sunny.all.day. said...
Wow, this is amazing!! And its just "something you came up with".... well the only slight thing that's bothering me is the last line, I feel like to match the poem, it should be "you will be gone" instead of "you'll" because it just sounds more smooth? But I don't want to tell you how to write your poem :/

IreneEYtonKratz This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 4:31 am
Beautiful! STirring! You are a true poet-- my favorite was "the silken moon" Keep it uP *****

Oct. 12, 2011 at 8:38 am
Thank you both very much! :) sunny.all.day, I can see why this bothered you now that I look closer... I don't think "you will" would have fit in as well with the meter, but I could have reworked it anyway... :| Ah well. Thanks again! ^-^