The Things That I Have Done

I have sung and strung old harmonies
With the symphony of stars
I have exchanged wise words with setting suns
Smoking ablaze cigars
I have wept alongside dying trees
Our tears joined in with endless rain
I have shared the pleasure with hellish men
Of going hopelessly insane
I have raged and roared my heart sore
Beneath the storm-filled skies
I have dared to love a feral girl
Who would not meet my eyes
I have kissed a corpse with passion
On sheets of silver sand
I have been set afire with joy
In a fertile, elfish land
I have danced a winter ritual
With a pack of wolves who grin
I have hanged a villain on a silken noose
As penance for his sins
I have soared as high as hopeful dreams
On a mare with eagles’ wings
I have sat upon the crescent moon
To listen to the nighthawk sing

Is this the person who I am?
Is it Adventure to whom my life I owe?
Really, I’m just a commoner
Who has dreamt of being so

An-eloquent-leafThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:13 am
What- what is this? Another lovely poem by the Feathery Bard? Nah, it can't be, he's already reached his max...

Haha just kidding, this piece is just as lovely as your others - which, to say the least, is excellent.

What a shame it got rejected, though. If they had known it was you, the Silent Raven, maybe they would have changed their minds :)

RedFeather said...
Dec. 15, 2011 at 7:53 am

You're a magician with words, raven. That's all there is to it. It's very relatable. I have to show this to my brother - he's going through a rough time right now and is wishing for nothing else but adventure in his life. I went through that stage to, so I also find this very relatable, but I don't want him to travel along the same path that I took, so I'm trying to help him in everyway that I can. You seem to know alot, so do you have any suggestions?

I don't see how one of your poems... (more »)

The Silent Raven replied...
Ahhhh, you must think me horrible for not replying to your beautiful comments until this rainy January afternoon. Well, I'm not really great at giving that sort of advice (mine is too ambiguous), and it's probably too late, but I would say that adventure lies not in traveling distances nor in taking risks but in the mind and heart. Living 'carpe diem' can lead one anywhere, and let one become anything, if he is open to it. To value one's life as it is meant to be valued, that is adventure, even ... (more »)

Rayne said...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 12:19 am
This is relatable to me as well, I like the idea. Favorite.

HannahPaige said...
I adore this poem. It flows so perfectly and has such an endearing tone. It's so relatable and just made me smile. Great work.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I'm so glad to hear that Hannah!

A_shy_dove said...
Sept. 3, 2011 at 6:54 am
Wow!!!!! your poems leave me in awe...

Thanks so much, Dove! You're always so kind.

A_shy_dove replied...
Sept. 16, 2011 at 8:56 am
I just don't understand why they rejected it.

Ah well, thanks for saying that.

The winner of the contest is my arch enemy, however. That angered me slightly, but then I let it go; and my happiness returned. :)

IamtheshyStargirl said...
It took me a few lines, but I do recognize it :) How comfortably familiar it is, like a lost friend returned, an old memento found. 

I'm glad that there's somebody still around to remember it. It was shuddering on my shelf, fearing that it had been forgotten, when I saved it from such a fate and returned it to where it belonged. I cannot believe I would have traded The Things That I Have Done for anything.

savetheplanet said...
I really like this one. :)  Actually, it IS possible to be rejected.  I just was.  I'm very upset.  It's the poem that they posted before but anonymously, then I deleted it and resubmitted it and apparently it's not good enough for their website. D:<

How unfair of them!

Well, anyway, your latest poems have been quite good, which compensates. :)

savetheplanet replied...
I'm going to try submitting it again and seeing what they do.

Aderes18 said...

Oh, raven, your genius never ceases to amaze me! 

I'm so sorry that it was rejected- but I have a feeling great things are to come for you! :)

Fits with my life perfectly, for I wish to really LIVE. 

Thanks, Aderes. :)

It's quite all right, I think. I've gotten rather adept at handling rejection (maybe through practice!), much more so than I used to be. And I have encouragement from people like you, which certainly helps. :)

Carpe diem, yes? Easier imagined than done, I've found.

Aderes18 replied...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 4:08 am
Yes, failure is a part of life. And Carpe Diem is a tough one, easier for some, harder for others. Just uploaded a new poem and I think you're going to really like it! It's dedicated to mi corazon, of course, and some words are in Arabic(because he speaks Arabic and translation is definitely included)

Ooh, I can't wait to read it!