Top Voted Poetry

Here is the top voted poetry:

voted
#1
Daddy's Womb This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
i asked my father if i could swim, and he said that i would drown. The Sea would imprison me – he said if my feet had left the ground. So i walked out to the water, and cried out – how ’bout now! He said, a little bit further, Son,... (more »)
Subsection: Free Verse Poems   2055 comments
voted
#2
American Dream This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
so this is where all the dreaming takes meto a cold, empty realitywith sleep still in my eyesshivering, confused, I must’ve oversleptnow it’s time to wake upone last yawn, then face the liesI’m barefoot and the streets are... (more »)
149 comments
voted
#3
Flame This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I watch this flame pass from match to wick, gently stepping over a great divide. This flame and I are not so different: it comes into being from nothingness; it eats and grows, smokes, and rests. It gets angry, destroys homes, consumes... (more »)
Subsection: Free Verse Poems   275 comments
voted
#4
I Am From This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I am from My green blankey and Climbing out of my crib From playing mermaid in the bathtub. I am from walking my dog, And the noise he made when I step on his tail. I am from my sheep nightlight And Blue’s Clues and the Berenstain... (more »)
Subsection: Free Verse Poems   340 comments
voted
#5
Best Friends Forever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   We've been friends now, for quite a while.Through ups and downs,tears and smiles.All those letters ending,best friends forever.All those ideas,some crazy, some clever.We shared the bad times, and the happiness,We know our... (more »)
194 comments
voted
#6
Algebra One This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Remember all those rationals and irrationals, the ones we got confused?I still get them wrong and I am not very amused.Digits and decimals, too many D'sBut wait until we start on those x, y, and z's.Powers of 10 are expressed by... (more »)
163 comments
voted
#7
Stop The Violence This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Drugs all over under the ground.Guns, people crying, putting each otherdown.People every day do crazy things.Buying fancy cars and a lot ofrings.You have nothing to show for yourself.You're dying on the inside,and you have bad... (more »)
193 comments
voted
#8
Memories This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
And I remember she wouldn’t wake up. Her lips were mushed together in a Horrible shade of red They buried my mother in a white dress And red lips. And she couldn’t see. Where are your glasses, Mommy? And still at sixteen I bring them to... (more »)
Subsection: Free Verse Poems   809 comments
voted
#9
The Lost Generation This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Oh why have we settled in the unquiet darkness, where the noise of the silence overwhelms our hearts? And we fall apart – the sun sets and it rises – we make shapes of ourselves no one can see. Oh why are we lost in these tears if... (more »)
175 comments
voted
#10
All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
Books fill up my room. Not baseball cards, or pictures of girls, or basketballs. Maybe a blown up picture of … … Pam Anderson might help. Black-framed glasses and a white, pale, lanky body. I should start working out. At least... (more »)
Subsection: Free Verse Poems   1484 comments
voted
#11
The American Dream This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
It is the American DreamWhat we all strive for and imagineIndouble-wide trailers to double-wide mansionsIn sprouting lakes of fake fish.Nothing captures its essenceUnbound by time or dust or rotThe thingswe cherish still are lovingly pattedAnd... (more »)
76 comments
voted
#12
If I Were in Charge of the World This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
(Apologies to Judith Viorst)If I were in charge of the worldMy favorite flip-flops would never wear out.There would be no books of poems with the last page missing,No hairy spiders to hide in the corners.If I were in charge of the worldI would... (more »)
Subsection: Free Verse Poems   241 comments
voted
#13
Jerk This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I love your voice, your soft brown hair. I love your eyes and love your stare. I love your laugh, your cocky smirk, your stupid jokes. You precious jerk, you know I do. I want my hands all through your hair each treasured strand.... (more »)
Subsection: Ballads   1522 comments
voted
#14
Make Believe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
We were doomed from the beginning,Blinded from the start,But nothing can be doneTo fool a happy heart.With each smile and giggle,Every embrace and every kiss,We were shooting toward a happy ending,And we missed.Cinderella lost her slipperAnd it... (more »)
Subsection: Ballads   182 comments
voted
#15
Homelessness This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   My home can beeverywhereor nowhere.My daily mealsconsistof anything ornothing.My knick-knacksand baubles are the clothesIwear.My moneyisonly whatothersgive me.I am a being.I am human.I am homeless.If only peoplecould seewhere I... (more »)
195 comments
voted
#16
The Meaning of Love? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The beating of my broken heart, now chained and locked away, I hear much louder, through the night, than words we never say. As hollow kisses turn to dust and fall against my skin, I pray that I might find the strength to fall in love again.... (more »)
Subsection: Limericks   819 comments