The Day I Realized | Teen Ink

The Day I Realized

March 16, 2018
By Willthewiccan GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Willthewiccan GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
16 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
''nothing is impossible unless you let it be''


Childhood Ghost.


Then she was gone, She told me to forget everything. For my safety my best friend of the time period had told me to forget everything we learned together, saw together, and did together. She always wore a set of blue jeans, a blue shirt and white laced shoes. If she wasn’t wearing that she was wearing a long nightmare black dress. She was the definition of white, ghostly from the looks of it, she had blonde hair with a smile so psychotic it could invade the deepest of minds. She always laughed and never cried. We would run through the woods, and play at the time I thought nothing of how she could climb a tree with nearly no branches in the turn of a head. Nobody else ever saw her and I was always curious to why my mother was curious about her. Whenever she saw my mother, she would hide away some to remain hidden like she was some kind of secret. What we did in those woods still remains fuzzy to me these days but I know what we were doing most of the time. She would tell me stories about a place known as gaia, the gap between the physical and spiritual realm, where the two meet. She would call it the veil and say only some can see into the veil and even fewer could see spirits.

She would show me things I thought to just be tricks and illusions but little did I know I was going to be learning it soon enough. When I could do what she was showing me it always felt natural and peaceful from the days we practiced picking up fire to the times we tried to manipulate plant life. She was teaching me magick and not the simple stage tricks. She was a witch but didn’t follow the criteria of one, she held no religion and worshipped no deities. Her motto was if she couldn’t see it or believe it to be possible it was fake magick. The difference between magick and magic is that magick is ancient and wise, magic is false and fantasized. Anyways


She was a full blown witch and she hadn’t spoken a word of it. Before anything she would teach me she would make us both go down to the crick to “cleanse” our hands. She always said it was to purify energy. She spoke frequently about how energy that was pure attracted good spirits and dark energy the opposite. When we had to say goodbye at the end of the day we would shake hands and send each other off in which case she would run back into the woods. I always noticed her hands were colder than ice every time I shook them. She always carried a smell of the river full of salt and minerals as well. When we would stay out in the woods all day we would have a small picnic consisting of sea salt, PB&J’s, and a jar of pickle juice. She told during the meals about how spirits are almost everywhere and that she could teach me how to see them, and me being the curious child I was accepted the offer.

After a while she began asking me if I would do her some favor which blurs my mind but it had something to do with astral projection. I’m not proud to say it but I still know how to do it yet today. We ended up finishing after a few days which took a huge toll on me. I felt drained and sick for nearly a week. Heather kept reassuring me I would get better over time. But the next summer she began acting strange and kept claiming the time wa nearing when she would have to “leave” which in her case meant to finally pass forward. She claimed she had to return to the veil. Once I had heard that I had finally realized why almost nobody else could see her. She was already dead, which now it makes sense why she had no fear of death or the dead around us. Having the understanding she did would almost require to be living that life.

Years had passed and thought she was gone for good. That was until 2015 when she had made a surprise appearance. We were living out on the farm and she couldn’t have possibly known where that would have been. But I believe what I saw to have been her standing in the field for what seemed like ten minutes before she walked into the woods and vanished yet again from sight.  As the old saying goes “out of sight out of mind’’ but I doubt that the thought of her will ever pass from my mind.


The author's comments:

This is a true piece and originates from my childhood,