The Reaper's True Nature | Teen Ink

The Reaper's True Nature

By MaddyTheMad SILVER, Cement City, Michigan
MaddyTheMad SILVER, Cement City, Michigan

"Your hair is winter fire
January embers
My heart burns
There, too" - Secret Admirer

The sound of barreling water passing by her as she hopped along the riverbend. Sweet blackbirds sang their eerie tune in the swaying trees above. The simple tap, tap, tap of her feet against the stones. The toads that had croaks as loud as a rusted screen door in the fall.    Here, she was at home.Tap, tap, Tap As she hummed a little tune. Almost as if she was conducting the music of nature. Tiny bare toes dip into the cool pond stream. And following it, feet, then ankles. She ran through the river in a path her heart decided. Splish, Splash Resplendent water splashed out onto her knees, sprinkling the bottom of her sun dress with drops that dripped off back to the Earth.

Her black, tangled hair swished against her back. Her pretty blue eyes, the same color as the flowers on her dress, pierced the Earth with a cool chill creatures could feel for miles. Pale, freckled skin, as white as a ghost.Tap,Tap She keeps running, right through the river, as if she was using it as a path. Finally, she reaches the daisy spotted grass at the end of the river. Here she stands on a rock. She stands still, taking in her surroundings with a force of power only God himself could possess. Her eyes widen as she stares at a boy, a boy sitting in the flowers staring directly back. He had matted brown hair that stuck to his flushed face and tear filled blue eyes. His clothes were torn and in some places, soaked in blood, and in others, in water. She runs up to him, crying softly, but somehow pouring out unspoken thoughts deep enough to drown you quicker than any ocean. With a rapid heartbeat, she runs into his arms. He sits there, holding his dear friend as though she was a little kitten that had just been frightened by a shock of thunder. No one speaks. Her eyes say all that he needs to hear. She closes her eyes and stands with a face of determination. As her hand rose to her shoulder, a swarm of golden dandelions flew across the sky directly above her head. Then emerald hummingbirds followed, their wings so powerful her hair flew with the wind. And finally, the most exquisite, red roses you've ever seen flew down from the heavens and surrounded the man sitting at her feet. They spun around his head and around his wounded body. Then they dropped on top of him. Back came the daisies. When they reached him, they dropped too. Leaving behind a yellow and red pattern of wondrous flowers. And back came the hummingbirds. They hummed a sweet, calming tune as he closed his eyes. In a cloud of green, the hummingbirds lifted him up, and took him to the skies where he could meet his creator. She turned away as the wings of an angel appeared on her back. She was off to the river to await a new arrival. This is what I believe, is the true Reaper.

I describe what I think the Grim Reaper truly is.