I Thought I Knew My Heart

I thought I knew love,
I thought I knew my heart,
I thought I knew it was fickle,
Just a childhood crush,
Wasn't worth it.

What got into me,
I'll never know,
Why I decided
To choose somebody to love.
I said I was just making sure,
I didn't do it again-
Fall in love with a jerk.
So I fell in love with a friend.

I've waited a year,
Almost two,
Afraid to tell you,
Afraid of the awkwardness, of rejection,
Afraid it will flee, ruin what we have,
Not allowed to go out,
Know I'm not ready,
Still I love you,
Want you to love me too.

I had more friends,
Before I started hanging with you,
More of acquaintances now,
We barely talk!
Don't know if it's cause,
We don't really connect,
More likely it's cause,
You attract me like a magnet.

You, you, you, you!
That's all my life is these days.
Can't stop thinking about you,
Dream about you,
Cause when I'm with you,
It's like breathing in and out,
So natural and true,
So easy, unthinking.
I don't worry when I'm with you,
Just go with the flow,
See your smile,
See your overjoyed face,
Makes me so happy,
Puts me in my place,
By your side, where I belong.

Guess love isn't so fickle,
Guess I was wrong,
Maybe the right love,
Can last ever so long,
Maybe (my heart cries) we belong together,
Maybe it's destiny we are together.
Or maybe (my brain says) it's just me.
Maybe I was right in the beginning,
Maybe this is just a crush,
Though I think my heart is winning.

xovanillatwilightxo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this was really good! a little rocky at points, but you got the maessage across. very relatable! check out my work if you want :)

little-miss-sunshine said...
This is a great poem. It's really relatable. In some parts it flows really well, but in others not so much. Your main message is potrayed well and doesn't die out throughout the poem as I've seen in some other really long poems. Keep writing!

swimstar28 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is SO GOOD! I love it because it is so real, you relate to your reader so well by getting into the head of your reader. Very true, and inspiring :)

Jenny1868 said...
omg this is AMAZING!!!! read my poem "hate under disguise" its pretty good

firstsnowfalls This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
great job... and relatable for so many people! keep writing :)

bluemagnet22 said...
Vry relatable...great like the rest of your poems! Keep up the good work! :)

skipperdoodle said...
LOVE IT!!!

Cat_Art101 said...
Oct. 24, 2009 at 11:07 am
This is really a good poem. It's cute. I love how you have the potential of making this ending a sad one, and you turn it around and make it happy again. 5 stars. :)

AndThisIsReal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 15, 2009 at 9:11 am
I think a lot of people can really relate to this.
It was communicated well.
I really like it.

ErumK said...
This was really good. Like everyone else already said, it flows and a lot of people can relate to it. It's honest and moving and not at typical like some poems, and you didn't try using formal vocab that would just seem forced. Love it =)

despurlock This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow! Again, I love it and I'm sure almost everyone can relate! I love the form here, it's different than some of your others. I really like how it flows in a way that your mind would when thinking about this special person! My favorite stanza is the fifth one! So beautiful! 5 stars!

S.t.S This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 8, 2009 at 4:22 am
:( This reminded me of my old friend... I was in love with him for four years, and at the end of the fourth, he killed me...

firstsnowfalls This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
That's awful. :( It's strange how the people who we care about the most tend to end up hurting us the most...

windswift This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 23, 2009 at 4:43 am
this is simply an amazing poem agian, one of the few poems that struck a cord. its a simple five of five. all of the words pieced together and smoothly flowed to each other to form a great poem

RheaD.Ravenfinger This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 23, 2009 at 1:19 am
i love this poem. i went through something like that this year but nothing happened because he went with a group of people i didn't like and yea.

Kumang said...
Apr. 26, 2009 at 11:24 am
awesome..

benmagos said...
thanks for your comment on mine. :) we have similar topics here. :) I really like the way you expressed those awkward feelings you have when you fall in love with a friend, don't want to ruin what you have. Good Work!

WolfAngel said...
Apr. 17, 2009 at 4:51 am
i like it. Very creative. I expecially liked the last stanza because it just flowed really well.

kayla B. said...
Apr. 17, 2009 at 12:15 am
wow. i love it! very moving...