How to Properly Eat Ice Cream in 17 Steps This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Step 1: Dip under the cold waves of the Jersey Shore, close your eyes, and feel the fingers of the ocean find the spaces between your hairs.

Step 2: Lay on a sandy towel with one ear to the ground, and listen to the waves crash down in intervals invoking internal longing for this moment forever.

Step 3: Reapply sunscreen.

Step 4: Wonder why you don’t come out to the edge of the earth more often.

Step 5: Get up.

Step 6: Brush off the sand desperately clinging to your legs.

Step 7: Wave goodbye to the ocean.

Step 8: Wait for a reply.

Step 9: Leave barefooted and empty headed, and step back into a world filled with masses of grasses, replete with streets, and crowded, enshrouded with things and faces you wish you could replace with salt water waves.

Step 10: Drive to the nearest homemade ice cream shop, and order two flavors of ice cream in one cone together.

Step 11: Watch as the ice cream melts in the summer sun, and try to keep up with the sudden task of keeping your fingers unsticky.

Step 12: Fail at this task.

Step 13: Marvel at how chocolate chip cookie dough and orange cream combat each other in delicious little battles.

Step 14: Sit in the back parking lot of the ice cream shop and wonder why you don’t come out to the edge of the earth more often.

Step 15: Think about how cool the ocean’s waves felt.

Step 16: Finish the ice cream.

Step 17: Repeat, someday.