The Town | Teen Ink

The Town

March 24, 2017
By poopyfacedtomatonose BRONZE, Royal Oak , Michigan
poopyfacedtomatonose BRONZE, Royal Oak , Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Town
I am from a place where you have to worry about going to the gas station.
I am from a place where wearing a certain color can get you shot.
I am from a place almost as lawless as the old west.
I am from a place where parents have to guide their young with precision.
I am from a place where people walk the streets to find their next fix.
I am from a place where you have to walk in numbers so no one robs you.
I am from a place where dressing nice paints a target on your back and makes you stick out.
I am from a place where my parents fear kept me on my street and put up walls on the end of the block so I couldn’t wander off.
I am from a place where I lose a couple friends a year to gun violence and drugs.
I am from a place where I do not want to raise a family there.
I am from a place where the streets control you and drag you down.
I am from a place where looking over your shoulder has become muscle memory and habbit.
I am from a place where the Community Resistance In Progress are constantly killing Blood Love Overcomes Our Depressions.
I am from a place called…Inkster.


The author's comments:

This piece is just something that explains the daily life and struggles of living where I'm from