Sunflower | Teen Ink

Sunflower MAG

January 18, 2017
By proudram1013 SILVER, Burbank, Illinois
proudram1013 SILVER, Burbank, Illinois
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music... I get most joy in life out of music."
-Albert Einstein


Each seed planted ever so carefully,
Foreseen to transpire into greatness carelessly.
But soon pushed aside by adversity,  
She cowers alone, belittled by the popularity.

Little by little, her strong, sturdy stem bends low
Away from the sunlight she embraced so long ago.
Like a dying battery progressively losing energy,
Her self-esteem slowly drains complementary.

Any childhood bliss or inner pride once
present – lost.
Existing courage, audacity, or aplomb – tossed.
Amidst the colorful, unfortunate calamity,
She falls finally, depleted of alacrity.

But emerging strong and beautiful, she leads
Through the tangled, hateful, and choking weeds
Reaching the shining sun in the vast summer sky
Tall, straight, and outstretched incredibly high.

For She is capable; She is worthy of praise,
As She stands tall facing the bright sun, ablaze.
She is a mighty Sunflower with a free,
courageous spirit,
Gleaming with confidence, assurance, and strength.


The author's comments:

Unfortunate times test one’s inner strength, resilience, and confidence to stand tall and proud against common expectations.

Every child is born jovial and audacious. However, their encounters and interactions with difficulties and misfortunes from the outside world can affect their behavior and personalities negatively. The poem reveals the importance of having strength and confidence amid calamity.

Midst adversity, the speaker learns not to succumb to common expectations of anyone experiencing hardship. Despite the difficulties and obstacles the speaker faces, she continues to grow and thrive in adversity.

 

I used the idea of a tall sunflower to portray that every individual needs to confidently stand tall like a sunflower, embrace their true colors, and discover unknown strengths. I present the sunflower as a metaphor for rising strength and confidence. Anyone can be the sunflower struggling in the face of adversity. Specifically, the feminine pronoun “She” is capitalized because I attempt to acknowledge the girls, who struggle most with insecurity and self-doubt.