I have a Little Monster

I have a little monster
It's no bogeyman or mummy
It's a scary little monster
And it's trying to kill me

It lives deep inside my heart
And tells me what to do
I feel like I have no control
When it tells me to throw up my food

He tries to be nice to me
Complementing the bones sticking out my ribs
He says I need to listen to him, because he's right
He always is

I hate this little monster
I scream at him to go away
But I know that the next meal
He'll be back to stay

I can't go to sleep at night
He wakes me up each hour
He tells me I have more work to do
If I want to stop being a fat little coward

I have tried everything to get rid of my monster
Depression pills, therapy, hospitalization
But no matter what I do
He's always back to ruin any situation

I smile around my friends
I play and have fun
When I'm alone I break down
But I will never let them catch on

Someday I will show I'm stronger than the demon
I'm finally getting help
Good Bye Anorexia
I want my freedom

rainyday said...
Apr. 30, 2009 at 1:17 am
this is really good. you seem very strong, despite what you say in the poem about thinking you, as you wrote, "a fat little coward." I have friends with eating disorders, so I can sort of relate. it is very touching, thanks for sharing. keep writing, you are really good!

Undiscovered said...
Oh my gosh... that was absolutely beautiful. I have a friend who's anorexic... do i have your permission to print it out and give it to her? i'll give you the royalties (sorry, im a theatre person). Comment back with your response on one of my poems por favor!

musicgirl757 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Undiscovered, that's totally cool! I love having other people see my writing!

Bridie said...
Apr. 18, 2009 at 6:07 am
oh my god that was amazing i honestly love all your worl and gave them 5 stars and i'm going to send these poems to my friend. she reallt needs help right now all she does is pop pills. and today at the mall we had to chase her to get rid of the energy drink that was making her throw up. thank you so much for your beautiful poetry. i really hope that who ever this poem is about and your other poems is all right i'll be sure to keep them in my prayers.

Bridie, i'm sorry about your friend. Feel free to give this to her!

Linklover95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Now this piece was your best yet! It really makes you stop and think about all the people with this real issuse. Is this about you, not trying to be rude?

Mar. 25, 2010 at 11:14 am
Yeah, this is about me. And don't worry, its not rude. I used to care what people thought about it, but now I really don't mind. If you have any other questions feel free to ask

StarwarsFreak95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I really appreciate your openness. I really admire that about you. Thank you for sharing, you don't even know how you're a beacon of hope for many people. Thank you.

chowder16 said...
Apr. 5, 2009 at 2:07 am
Great work! I know people with eating disorders and they think its hidden,but its not.

kissingdawn331 said...
that one almost made my cry...u r a great writer keep it up...and as for your situation...your writing shows that yr made of stronger stuff than u think you are...God bless you..and good luck

jessvente said...
Mar. 15, 2009 at 4:25 am
I love the reality and emotion of this piece. Excellent work (: