Where I'm From This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I’m from lemons in a wheelbarrow,
From wind-lashed cheeks.
I am from cactus coolers (yellow and orange that soothe the throat),
I am from the dumpster.
The albino rabbit that lurks,
A crunching sound of gravel and bone.

I am from papayas we picked that morning,
From Cosmo Kramer.
I’m from flying down the road,
From yes.
I’m from sticks and rocks,
From no.

I’m from the bayliner,
From Rupert.
From Good Samaritan, where I learned true
Sorrow and despair.
At the top there is light,
A need to earn trust, a need to impress.

abcisagirlygirl said...
this made my cry it was really good

abcisagirlygirl replied...
Yes  it was it was better than the things i write it was really really good keep

Poet4ever said...
love it. And great job
P.S. rock on Idaho!!!

halo<3XOXO This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is really good. u might want to add a little more voice but the desciptions were awesome!

melina said...
I did a poem like this in school, and i can really tell how much this poem really pertains to yourself. i really like the rawness of the poem. please check out my poems/photo because theyre just posted and i need feedback.

Stephaniere This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Amazing, no lie.
Keep it up.
(:

sasssgirrrl22 said...
this is awesome. luv this poem. pretty deep :)

project827 said...
this poem makes me smile. :)

Moonbeam13 said...
Hola, Awesome poem! My mom's english class did poems like these for a class assignment.

oddballinthegroup said...
i was going to write another one of these i love these poems they let you express your self

SapphireBeauty said...
We had to something like this in my creative writing class...Mine sucked because I was hesitant about what I was suppose to say...This is really good

SickImage said...
Oct. 9, 2009 at 10:09 am
"From Cosmo Kramer"
LOVE kramer :]

dancerbaby21 said...
wow...
itt reminds me of the poem Where I'm from by George Ella Lyon yett its really original,
I have to do one of these for my English 1 honors class itt was pretty hard... well Good Job thoughh(:

Moonbeam13 replied...
Hey, what school do you go to cuz my mom tecaches English Honors. Do you go to baldwin?

kittykat123 said...
very good i luv 2 write poetry!!!! u should read sum of mine!!!!

bubblez01234 said...
There was so much emotion in your poem I loved it so very much!

WhoKnows said...
ohmygosh lol. my teacher had us do the exact same thing for mothers day. if i can find it I'll post it

iluvsoccer50 said...
I also based my poem on the one by George Ella Lyon. Wanna see it? Copy and paste this link into your browser:

TeenInk.com/raw/Poetry/article/112480/Where-Im-From/

Please read, vote, and leave your comments! Thanks!

lovehate29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i really liked your piece. it has so much emotion in it! detailed, descriptive, fascinating. keep up the good work!! 5/5

Jackie K. said...
hbwriter i think its good and i am sure there was a reason the lines are split of the way they are i think it makes sense and goes with the words in the poem it wouldn't be the same if it wasn't like that. I love it soooooo keep up the good job. I can relate

Kelly B. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This poem IS based on a poem by George Ella Lyon, at my school we had to do an assignment that involved changing the poem to make it our own. Did you have to do that too? Anyway, I still like it. : )