Sturdy old Woman | Teen Ink

Sturdy old Woman

January 17, 2016
By SLkassie BRONZE, Fresno, California
SLkassie BRONZE, Fresno, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Sturdy old woman the world spins to fast. We are all so busy, so young, so absent. We see your pictures. We see your furniture. They are beautiful we know.


Sturdy old woman you love the flowers, the grass. To watch them grow in the sun is your pride. The white petals are a fortune the green leaves a Monet, the rain your loyal friend.
Sturdy old woman where has your garden gone? The saplings are tall but they are missing. They have been replanted and only their roots remain. You ask us if we push the world if it will spin any faster. You ask us these things because you already know that it is made of stone and that our hands are but clay.


Sturdy old woman you love to play cards. You bluff, you gamble, you win. You smile you laugh, you look youth in the face and it blushes back at you. How do you remember to forget our wrongs? How do you forget to remember our abuse? How mother bird do you welcome those that have carried away your nest twig by twig?


Sturdy old woman we revel in your stories, when greed was not the shade of the sky. You hands show us the face of generosity and she is always smiling.


Sturdy old woman today is your anniversary. You decided not to visit the stone. The memories are your keep sakes; you bind them around your neck. Twenty years and you still think of him.


Sturdy old woman I am very sorry, it is time for me to go. The world must spin and I must push just as you did. You know that I must toil. You know that the young will not understand. That we must reach the peak before we notice the view.


Sturdy old woman you must understand that we want to stop. We have always believed that the world turned on its own. We are only selfish, only careless, only poor judges of value. One day we will grow strong and then we will know that we are weak.


Sturdy old woman the world spins too fast.


The author's comments:

This piece is in honor of my Grandmother as well as the elderly as a whole who have gained so much wisdom through their lifetime and who deserve to share it. Sometimes society forgets to acknowlege them and family members sometimes abandon them. This is truly sad since these people paved the path for our generation. They deserve our devotion and love. It is the least we can do for these heroes.