All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

alisha13344 said...
today at 2:20 pm
this is very touching

Love_N_Loyaltyy said...
May 7 at 9:15 am
this is touching. (':

DeviousRiverz said...
Apr. 22 at 5:08 pm
I love your poem but I just feel like you could be conveying more emotion through it.....

shwnwdThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 18 at 1:06 pm
You've got a really talent for poetry, kid. I think you'll be fine. And I hope you like who you are. Don't let those kids get you down. Just keep being yourself and people will like you. Just keep shining, like the star you are.

VriskaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 3 at 2:16 pm
This sounds like my life. I totally know how you feel.

Iamwhoiam16This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 19 at 6:01 am
I really love the way it was written! :) Great job!

TheBellroseFairyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 18 at 11:27 pm
The sentiment shines through, but your line break is all over the place. A true poem sounds as well as it looks on paper. In poetry, or any form of writing for that matter, you must always write out numbers instead of simply typing them. This poem needs more descriptive language, which is a fancy way of saying you need to show and not tell. Most likely, this comment will be buried underneath all the others, but hopefully it reaches you.

beAWESOMEstayAWESOMEThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 18 at 6:09 pm
I loooooooooove this poem soooooooooooo much. #talented *thumbs up*.BTW if i ever met you i would definitely be your friend, but sadly we on't go to the same school:(. ANYWAYS, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! KEEP WRITING!

PaigeByPage said...
Mar. 18 at 2:33 pm
I absolutely love this! It reminds me of my best friend who is an introvert. Maybe I myself cannot relate but I adore poems that give an inside look on what it is like to be someone else. Very beautiful.

KayRaeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 10 at 12:30 pm
I love this poem! I relate to it and I know the feeling

Ana143This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 2 at 9:17 pm
That was AMAZING!!! this poem really hits home for me. cause all i wanted was a friend. I love it!

GGaunsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 2 at 11:30 am
Really Wow!! I can relate to this poem well...

NoniDoniThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 12 at 8:37 pm
well written and flows nicely

Mydoublebass said...
Jan. 7 at 12:58 am
It's unbelievable how well I can relate to this poem; I am in the same boat as the narrator.

Liyanams026 said...
Jan. 6 at 11:21 pm
Very well written. Trying to fit in is a struggle, and all you need is a friend. I like it.

Enigmaa said...
Nov. 22, 2014 at 5:27 am
Beautiful piece of worrk

Freshatilly said...
Nov. 17, 2014 at 11:09 am
Nice, Well Written piece if work.

Shortz said...
Really good poem.

Flame Thrower said...
This really seaks to me

alonebutstillsurvivingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
your poem really speaks to me. i read all the time. in fact i am at the library right now. if u need someone to talk to, i am here!