All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

janesnow said...
today at 8:56 pm
oh yeah? i read five books a day last summer! hot wheels, beat that!

Tkenns said...
yesterday at 11:03 pm
Hey, I know this can get annoying but if anyone had time to glance at my work that'd be great. I just have three short poems, but I might do more if I get enough likes. Thanks for the help! I you comment some criticism or what you like or something then I'll do the same for you!

itsrainingcatsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 16 at 10:34 am
Huh, this is interesting and really fun to read! Relatable.

ambivalentThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 12 at 5:02 pm
so glad i stumbled across this poem... love it.

ObanAK said...
Mar. 20 at 3:05 am
I know how you feel, I went through the same thing for several years. You are an amazing poet!

quillhoof said...
Mar. 16 at 10:15 am
You can now tag other users by using "@".i love it

LittleRedDeliriousPrinceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 7 at 11:09 am
Amazing...

Kara_case said...
Feb. 27 at 6:24 pm
I love this one so much. I'll be your friend haha

poetry101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 11 at 7:16 pm
You have so much talent keep making more poems as good as this one.

Zoenikky said...
Feb. 11 at 1:49 pm
really great piece

Dreamer4EVERThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 2 at 9:55 pm
Incredible work; Although it made me cry and sadly I can totally relate.

MahalabelleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 17, 2015 at 10:57 am
I feel the exact same way.

ImaginationIsImportant said...
its a great poem :) i could really relate to it except for the $50 thing...but i understand how u feel...and we can actually be friends :)

TamieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is really good. I hope this published in the mag.

MADDOThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 27, 2015 at 6:22 am
Its really beautiful... i loved it... i could relate your poem with mine.. great talent.. goodluck:)

XOXONANI said...
love this great work

SilverInkThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I can relate to this.................gr8 work!!!!!

Kelsey A. said...
May 26, 2015 at 12:55 am
I personally found it very deep and meaningful, especially since I can relate in a sort of way. Please share more!

luisavq said...
May 22, 2015 at 2:40 am
The short verses really make it seem like it's someone thinking which i think is what the writer was trying to do. It is simple yet deep and does touch on society's expectations to do well in school but there being too large of a price to play in order to get all A's.

alisha13344 said...
this is very touching