The Tiger | Teen Ink

The Tiger

By Be_Free PLATINUM, Longview, Texas
Be_Free PLATINUM, Longview, Texas

"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion overall." -- The Masque of the Red Death, Edgar Allan Poe

I cannot sleep; there is no rest on the hunt. I am constantly running, wishing that I knew how to stop. I’m climbing things, sneaking around, deathly silent. It never knew what hit it, never saw it coming. I drew my claws across its face, smelling the flowing from fresh cuts. Then I let it go. Waiting, and then again running. We were playing, cat and mouse.

My feet were bloody. I have hurt myself, but my pain doesn't matter anymore; it’s just more of a reason to hunt. I am catching up . . . almost there . . . pounce! I've killed it. But when I wake up, I don’t remember a thing.

I feel this urge around you. I want to hunt. You are so pure: your mind, your heart, your soul. You are my love, and I don’t want to hurt you. It is as if I need you: your purity, your love. But I am what? A monster? A murderer? I can’t help what I do, what’s in my blood. This is why I must leave you. I cannot stop what I do when I turn.

That is my instinct.

on Mar. 3 2015 at 8:48 am
kikixkupkake GOLD, San Marcos, California

"The things that walk out when we open our minds." -Dylan McCoy

I love how you finish this poem. "That is my instinct." Bravo! The simplicity of the line is great note to end it on compared to the lengthy imagery elsewhere. This poem is fantastic, but I did wish there was more breaks at one point. Still, the paragraph style you have written with seams fitting enough for this piece. Overall, there's basically no issues on my part for this poem. Once again: bravo!