Those Nights | Teen Ink

Those Nights

June 22, 2014
By FutureEnglishTeacher SILVER, Spokane, Washington
FutureEnglishTeacher SILVER, Spokane, Washington
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A ship in it's harbor is safe, but that's not what ships were built for.


Those nights when you simply feel…weary. Drained, overworked, and enervated. When you don’t want to continue, and you don’t know how much longer you can. Those nights when you can vaguely make out your limits, lying a thousand yards behind you, and you wonder how you managed to get to this very moment. When you’re exhausted to the core, but your to-do list is so long that you can’t possibly “just go to bed.” Those nights that turn into mornings before you’re ready, slapping your drooping face. When the fiery sting from impact lasts all day, growing stronger each minute. Those nights when you have to try so hard to convince yourself that everything will be worth it in the end. It has to be. When the light at the end of the tunnel seems to fade consistently the closer you come to reaching it. Those nights when you feel completely overwhelmed by every. little. thing. And especially when what you desperately crave is a break from everything—most of all, the looming, acidic stress. When what you want and need is time. Time forget what causes the stress, and time to focus yourself on what truly matters in life. But you can’t take a break from anything. Not now, at least. Those nights…


The author's comments:
I wrote this as a prose poem (a piece of prose that is written poetically...basically a free verse poem without line breaks) to capture the stress I was feeling around finals time.