On Trail to the Trial This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

The Earth has not stopped swinging;
when did it die?
Like a man hanged
orbits his rope,
we follow the sun.

Death waits distantly
carrion crows cry the end
dark’s car lights
chase down the world
to burn it.

A child crying out in pain
a race car speeding toward fame
a grown man blushing red in shame –
which is the world?

Cold gears released to grind slowly
their heated way to oblivion.
Combustion in a flash of white heat.
What matters when all ceases:
who’ll clear the debris, the pieces?

Vultures hover on the horizon
somnolent in their certainty
watching with cold and cruel eyes
as we prey scuttle fervently
to an unavoidable end.

A twisted, weighted, rigged game,
A rutted one-way dead-end lane,
A fogged, dirty, opaque pane –
Which is the world?

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the March 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

poet.lover said...
Jan. 4, 2012 at 9:31 am
sometimes i would agree with the whole rhyming doesn't work idea...but in this piece of writing, the rhyming really helps the poem and brings out the flow of the words and meanings. the rhyming here really works and it seems you took great time in writing this. those of you putting this writing down because you think that rhyming is wrong, you have to know when it works and when it doesn't. :) amazing piece!!

poet.lover said...
Jan. 4, 2012 at 9:27 am
This is by far one of the best poems on teen ink! the analogies are beautiful! and the words you chose are very detailed. I love the way you used the rhyming because it gives great and very smooth flow to this piece. the punctuation also, very well, emphasizes this read. very well written. please take a look at some of my poetry, thanks :)

mariahstokes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 2, 2011 at 8:36 am
i loved this, my favorite part was "A twisted, weighted, rigged game,
A rutted one-way dead-end lane,
A fogged, dirty, opaque pane –
Which is the world?" it's beautiful

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great analogies. I like the dead man hanging one the best. :)

bochoyboy said...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 10:01 am
pretty good poem dude.

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 10:58 am
beautiful.   real emotions.  excellent word choices, it sounds like something i would write.  i really like it.

dolphin13 said...

AMAZING! Keep writing!

A_Flicker_of_Light said...
It sounds awesome and I really enjoyed it. The "rhyming" was perfect

pinkypromise23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i absolutly love the two rhymying stanzasss!! haha(;

BlueInk94 said...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 10:45 am
Wow...thats all i can say Wow! anything else will ruin it! WOW!

LadyMoon said...
Jun. 11, 2010 at 11:01 am
I really love this poem!! My fave sentence was 'what matters when all ceases: who'll clear the debris, the pieces?' It was amazing!1And the title's awesome too!!

demetria said...
rhyming is not liked! just speak your mind. don't try to throw rhyming into your poems because 9 times out of 10 it doesn't come out great. work on not trying to rhyme

bochoyboy replied...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 9:55 am
rhyming takes skill man. free veres poetry takes the least skill of all. 

poet.lover replied...
Jan. 4, 2012 at 9:31 am

seemee146 said...
Throwing a pathetic attempt at rhyme into a free-verse poem is a bit like buying a car and deciding it would look better with only two wheels: doomed to fail and only makes it look like you have no idea what you're doing.

bochoyboy replied...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 9:57 am
rhyming makes poetry more fun. free verse peotry basiclly no skill at all, inless it really means somthing.

Beth K. said...
It's a very good idea and image that I can see. Try your best to not rhyme. The whole poem was at its best when it wasn't rhyming.

WritingLoverForever said...
This poem is beautiful. I love your work. Could you check out some of mine maybe?

savagivity777 said...
May 20, 2010 at 11:37 am
My dog just vomited.

Eilatan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
THIS IS SO AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!