sometimes i remember This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

sometimes i remember
dr. seuss books that declared
with such certainty
that individuality was
all that mattered

bible verses that explained
why we would be going to hell
if we didn’t pick up the pace

looking through mousetraps
and crossing our fingers
as we prayed:

don’t die, little guy,
don’t die, don’t die.

now,
on an apple-juice stained sofa
i watch smoke leave
a sagging body in a gray sweatshirt directly
through the nose
and i wonder if this is what
dr. seuss meant all those years ago about
nonsense waking up the brain cells.

and i’m thinking,
i shouldn’t let you do this.

but then again,
i am such a hypocrite.

sometimes i remember
sunday school priests
and how they would describe
heaven as this place where
you love god
so passionately that
it is enough
and it is enough
and it is enough.

so maybe if i could believe in
boys in the ripped jeans
and gray hoodies
enough to make them gods
i could make this world
heaven and i could tie-dye
my past blue and green
and it would serve as earth.

sometimes i remember god,
and sometimes he remembers me.

but i always seem to
remember you.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the June 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

Jessalynn said...
This poem is absolutly amazing. I love it. It is so touching. I agree completley with SarahB. He is out there, all you have to do is believe. He died for us and that is the most amazing thing someone could do for me. I thank all of those who preach to me and the other teens who need to hear God word in tough times. Lets face it, we all have moments when we need to reasurance, and God is that reasurance! God bless you all.

AbbyQ This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 12, 2010 at 7:21 pm :
I totally agree! Here is a wonderful verse that I read whenever I'm feeling down-and-out: "So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive His mercy, and we sill find the grace to help us when we need it most." (Hebrews 4:16)
Thank you for being willing to proclaim your faith!

UNICEF_Jr. said...
I understand your frustration. Don't blame God. Bad hings happen strangely enough...because he loves you. He wants to see if even through the darkest storm you come out loving him. Remember him...everything happens for a reason.

just3words said...
Nov. 30, 2008 at 12:10 am:
Completely agree with glowwstixxx. This was touching, with such brilliant imagery. i'm going to suggest this poem to you, because i think you would appreciate it: The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. i hope you read that poem. you'd love it. (the author is not on this site. gotta google it.)

glowwstixxx said...
Nov. 25, 2008 at 1:39 am:
This is wonderfully passionate and beautiful. It's one of those poems that is so personal that it tugs on parts of you

RonBonRovi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 28, 2010 at 5:39 pm :
tugs on which parts of you? hehe