Chaos Theory This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Carolyn says she believes in angels
while mascara spiders creep thickly along the
heavy baggage beneath her eyes like the
black pitch of the school hallways at night or
the charcoal that she dips her fingernails in and I
remember cheating on my math test that morning
So
I tell her I believe in people.

Roasted honey nut, the color she was born with but
you really wouldn’t know it because of the midnight L’Oréal
she chooses, tragically highlighted with Punk Pink or
Raging Red from a bottle and 15
minutes of waiting –
It spills limply over her black eyes whenever she leans down to write and
Carolyn says she believes in fate.

In planets aligning in the universe and
Feng shui that keeps mice away and prevents ulcers but also
makes a girl fall in love with a boy but
I know all about chemistry and hormones and catalysts so I
think I believe in science.

In reincarnation, she thinks she’ll come back as a bird
Or maybe a peacock and I say I agree when I
see those striped stockings that come to her knees and
neon earrings lifeless at her shoulders but she only laughs …
tells me I never really see her and to
call her later.

Now with the dial tone in my ear
the cold trembling and I’m suffocating on nothing
because I really see her and I
know she believes in the afterlife but
she doesn’t believe in laughter and
the phone just rings and rings and rings …

Carolyn said she believed in angels.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the January 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

llamachick said...
Dec. 10, 2010 at 8:52 am
i really really enjoyed reading this.it was amazing.

xXvannieXx said...
This peom is beautiful, keep writing you have talent.

PalabrasHermosas said...
I love this poem. You are very descriptive about your friend and the poem is descriptive in itself. I hope you contiue writng because you have an incredible gift.

Ahrenzell said...
My only comment is that maybe you could focus more on meter and rythm in you poetry. Other than that, it really is quite well written.

bigdreamer14 said...
Well constructed and heart-wrenching to some degree because the reader knows what she has done to herself. I think that this should be turned into a book. I am SERIOUSLY moved by this and I believe that you are very talented.

LilBenj This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 18, 2010 at 12:10 am

You certainly have a way with weaving words - what a beautiful poem. Thank you for sharing your soul so eloquently.

Keep writing.

GuitarGirl92851 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is so tragic, yet so beautifully written. You know something is good when it makes someone want to cry; and honestly, this made me want to cry. Good job.

JSchwartz replied...
Great imagery, this poem really speaks out and has a nice ending especially. Keep up the good work

SickImage said...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 2:02 am

Good choice for title.

It definatly caught my eye 'cause I have a writing called Insanity Theory :)

(It's not on here though)

I like your style.

Good work.

LadyMoon said...
Oct. 20, 2010 at 11:17 am

Omg FUCKing AmAzInG!1 i Freakin LOVED this PoEM!I can't wait to see more of your work. Your so talented, I mean this peom actually made me cry at the end. GREAT job!!! :)

j-rye This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

i loved the flow of this and i LOVED the foreshadowing.

it also reminded me of someone, amazing poem.

Amnoona said...

It took 3 times before I understood this, and when I did I was outstanded.

What an amazing poem. Very well written and such a breathtaking idea. Well done, this is purely fantastic!

silentvocal replied...
exactly! it is not too predictable and keeps you fallowing it-you just keep reading and then when it's suddenly over at a drop ending-you read it again, and again, and again understanding it more and more and i love this-it really does make you lightly, gently choked up, like in a good suddle way-it is pure beuty

ZackHarmes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
One tell-tale sign of good poetry is honesty. I really enjopyed the placement of key ideas and defining metaphors, beliefs, etc. Good work, I'm highly envious of your talent.

DiamondsIntheGrass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

WOWWWW!!! what the...? she did whaaaat? (this is my inference... correct me if i'm wrong...) wow.

the ending was really powerful.

but, the way the lines were separated were a little awkward, and the title is a little odd... considering the poem. it doesnt quite capture the essence of it.

sorry, i had to include that little thought.  but this poem is AMAZING and i loved it and hope to see more... and i would love it if you could take a look at some of my poems.  ... (more »)

bigdreamer14 replied...
I really do not understand what you mean when you say the title does not make sense nor the way the poem is constructed. That's what makes it more real.

SaMiLoVe97 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

umm im sorry if i took it the wrong way but was that meant to be criticism.

I think this peice was beautiful and full of life.(:

AsIAm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
What does one say when one has experienced something so incredible, so real yet other worldly, so simple yet complicated, so utterly amazing, that one's brain is left swimming and one's heart is left throbbing?  If you know, pretend that is what I said after reading this.

Connor S. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Amazing. The emotional impact is astonishing.

inspir3d This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 13, 2010 at 8:36 am

Wow.

Breathtaking.

Absolutely incredible!

it's refreshing to read something like this that actually causes you to react. very, very good.