I Fear Not | Teen Ink

I Fear Not

August 5, 2013
By IsaacR SILVER, San Diego, California
IsaacR SILVER, San Diego, California
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

(Written 2012)

I fear not the day I am forgotten
When my name will be no more
When thoughts and words from pen begotten
Shall fade beyond immortal lore

For though I am not certain
Whether tragedy or joy
Awaits us all behind the curtain
Of death, our favorite toy,

I know that those I know well
Are all I’ll ever know
The day when Life death shall quell
Shall be the day they go

Other voices I know are far ahead
Shall speak clearly for themselves
But I and my companions
Know we will have done well

END.


The author's comments:
Written in early 2012. The piece is set in a loose A-B-A-B structure, with no consistent defined rhythm. These verses were born of a realization that not only did I not fear death, I did not fear the inevitable decay of my legacy after death. One of Life's greatest tragedies, I believe, is the tendency of Man to "immortalize" himself beyond death. Though each life will end, it is common for men to wish to "live on in the hearts of men" who will follow. There is inherently nothing wrong in the longing for a meaningful legacy and for a positive impact that will reach far beyond one's death (this, I believe, is in fact the pinnacle of human nobility). Instead, the wish for eternal life amongst mortals, achieved through posthumous legacy, is what I am speaking of. Like Ozymandias, we shall all be forgotten in time, and even the greatest among us shall be lost in obscurity. Yet "I fear not"; my life is given purpose by Love, found manifest in those around me, reflections of the nature of God Himself. I am in the company of loved ones, and shall be until the end of my days. I shall live my life with them and I shall leave this world with them; this is infinitely more beautiful than any legacy brought about by "immortal lore".