Starburst. | Teen Ink

Starburst.

By hemingways_daughter DIAMOND, London, Other
hemingways_daughter DIAMOND, London, Other

'Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind.'
― Virginia Woolf, 'A Room of One's Own'

Langston meets me on the
South bank at seven. such a welcome diversion;
Drinking in the starlight.

Late nights on rooftops, we’re
Singing “lucy in the sky with diamonds” to a
Drunken hemingway’s claps.

Lost in the dark of a
Stairwell, i sit and contemplate my scores of scars.
Dust gathers in my palms.

Lust runs cold in my veins.
Such a lachrymose portrait for the hall one could
Draw of our misfortunes.

Love, you’re burned into my
Soul. and the sugar-inked lies they scrawled on your skin
Don’t mean a thing to me.

Lush quills dipped in wonder -
Such as auden and eliot wielded - could not
Drive your bitterness out.

Longing has nonetheless
Shaped every rough edge in your starburst eyes into
Diamonds in my mem’ry.

Letters on the mantel
Sit and whisper tales of the rapt innocence i
Danced away in the rain.

London nights don’t forgive.
So i listen to the storm. i dreamt of you each
Day this cold december.

This poem has nine three-line stanzas. The first line of each stanza begins with an L and has six syllables, the second begins with an S and has twelve syllables and the third begins with a D and has six syllables again.

Mckay ELITE said...
on Jul. 2 2013 at 3:09 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

I've so much to read from Hemingway right now. And from Auden. Ubt I do love Langston Hughes and Eliot. They're wonderful writers, whose works amaze me everyday. 

Mckay ELITE said...
on Jul. 2 2013 at 3:00 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

THAT IS ONE OF THE BEST POEMS IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE. I've re-read that poem so many times. The line about the night being like a patient spread out on a cold table, ehterized. And the women coming out talking about Michaelangelo. *gasps with amazement* Amazing poem. 

on Jun. 29 2013 at 4:19 am

― Virginia Woolf, 'A Room of One's Own'

I think I'd have to choose T.S.Eliot - among other things, the "Lovesong of J.Alfred Prufrock" won me over forever.

on Jun. 29 2013 at 4:17 am

― Virginia Woolf, 'A Room of One's Own'

I won't quit, for sure, and thank you so much! Also, I'm glad you caught the allusion to the writers. Who is you're favourite from the ones I mentioned?

Mckay ELITE said...
on Jun. 28 2013 at 8:03 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

This required such talent. No one could just write it. It's amazing! Like no joke amazing. You're a talented poet. Promise me you won't quit. Everything in this poem is just awe-inspiring. Your imagery and emotion. And the allusion to famous writers. All of which I love. Fantastic poem.