I am Forgotten | Teen Ink

I am Forgotten

By PhoebeB GOLD, Lexington, Massachusetts
PhoebeB GOLD, Lexington, Massachusetts

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
-Victor Hugo

Grains of time slipping through a glass
Soon it will be cold enough
Submerged in the shadows of darkness
I am forgotten

Soon it will be cold enough
Every step to bring me closer
I am forgotten
The whisper of what once was

Every step to bring me closer
Submerged in the shadows of darkness
The whisper of what once was
Grains of time slipping through a glass

This one was born during a poetry unit at school, but after some edits (in my opinion) was worthy of uploading...

ephemeral GOLD said...
on May. 27 2013 at 12:58 am
ephemeral GOLD, Park City, Utah

"All that is gold does not glitter/Not all those who wander are lost/The old that is strong does not wither/Deep roots are not reached by the frost"

May I just say that what I thought first anaphora was actually this obscure poetry form I thought was cool that I forgot about, but whose name starts with a T, and it gave me such joy to see it used here.  Where the second and fourth lines become the first and third in the next stanza. What I see often on this site is people coming out and just plainly saying how they feel but rhyming it, however here you've shifted away from that mentality and begun to demonstrate your emotion rather than state it baldly. It's short and direct, but it has a haunting methodicism in how it proceeds, and I'm almost glad that it ends with the first line, because I'd almost be afraid to go further. You did well in writing a poem that has influence on its reader