My Hands Are Like Houses | Teen Ink

My Hands Are Like Houses

By ephemeral GOLD, Park City, Utah
ephemeral GOLD, Park City, Utah

"All that is gold does not glitter/Not all those who wander are lost/The old that is strong does not wither/Deep roots are not reached by the frost"

My hands are like houses
Where cheeks welcome me
But my walls are dark molded
Painted with rot and red

My hands are like mountains
Your neck is the valley
A divine cross in your eyes
Beg against the landslides

My hands are like wind currents
Trying to make oceans bruise
But a hand offed at the wrist
Can be only useless

My hands are like fire
No mercy to what I touch
My hands will never hold smooth
In the way my tongue soothes

ephemeral GOLD said...
on May. 25 2013 at 10:08 pm
ephemeral GOLD, Park City, Utah

The lines were supposed to convey hands as yes, either useless or harmful. Sort of in the "everything I touch turns to sh*t" attitude, where the second stanza has hands hurting someone else, the third is hands being useless, and the fourth is hands as destruction. The opening stanza is supposed to reflect how people expect to rely on my hands or my physical support, which are just a "moldy house" and are therefore unreliable even though they look sturdy from the outside. Hands are the embodiment of our physical effort, and my words always seem more able to comfort and soothe than my physical gestures can give. 

on May. 25 2013 at 8:23 pm
Helena_Noel BRONZE, Burnt Hills, New York

“I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way: The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear, fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear.” -Edgar Guest

Good! Am i correct in assuming that the the third and last stanzas, the former calling the hands useless and the later, something that burns, implying that the speaker is either ineffectual in what they try to accomplish, or else actually harmful to someone else? I got the impression, when I read the line saying that it is the tounge that sooths where the hands burn, that the speaker feels his/herself to be all talk, or else someone who gives promises they have a hard time keeping. Or someone who talks sweetly, but isnt good in reality... so which is it?