With or Without This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Sick of the pain
Sick of the rage
She feels her heart beating
Behind her rib cage
That ugly thing
It caused only hurt
What would happen
If it were destroyed?
Feeling her heart beat
Pound in her chest
The anger, the fury
Had come to obsess
So she thinks and she thinks
How to find a resolve
She thinks and she thinks
Yes, her problem is solved
She looks down at her hands
So white and so neat
So trim and so dainty
So small and petite
She clenches her hands
Her veins pop in her wrists
She thinks, "This could work
Oh this might be it."
She raises her hands
To her chest, to her heart
She digs fingers deep
And thinks
"That's a start,"
Deeper and deeper
She tears her own flesh
"This soon will be over
This hurt will soon end,"
She breaks past her rib cage
Tiny bones, how they snapped
Beneath her slim fingers
In her tiny grasp
Looks down at her shirt
Sees the white turning red
But can't give second thoughts
Can't think she's soon dead
She rips though the tissue
Her sadness consumed
She's crying and sobbing
Not from pain but from gloom
Her wrists bend unnaturally
To fit in her chest
In the whole she has dug there
Spotted vision, dizzy head
She digs and she digs
But abruptly, she stops
She's found what she's looking for
Found what she's sought
She feels her heart beat
As she wraps 'round her hands
t's slick and unshapely
Been broken and bent
She takes a deep breath
Close her eyes, just a blink
She pulls her arms out
With her heart in between
She looks at her hands
Between short gasps, she smiles
"This has been the answer,
This was it all the while
"It's so ugly,"
She thinks as she looks in disgust
The thing slowly beats
Slower, slower, and done
Fat drops of red start to leak and to ooze
Thick rivers of blood
Coat her wrists to her shoes
The beating has stopped and she feels no more pain
She thinks the success
Over mess
Outweighs
But what she doesn't know
Is the secret of the heart
It kills when it's there
And it kills when it's not
So her hands start to tremble
As she looks at her prize
And with one final breath
She crumbles and dies.

Morin3445This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 1:46 pm:
i like dis

sarah98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 1:50 pm :
Good. Good good.

dancingintheflamesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sep. 2 at 6:08 pm:
Your work is amazing! while i read this my own heart was pouding, your words were gripping.

LiliaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 1 at 7:21 pm:
FIrst off, this gave me chills. I know I sound like I'm giving unsisncere compliments sometimes but honest to goodness this is like.... WOW. haha The rhyming, the imagery, the character. Haunting.

Aug. 1 at 8:02 pm :
Thank you! im glad you liked it

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 1 at 7:06 pm:
Holy eff! Amazing. Wonderful story imbued so much vivid imagery. Congrats on the Editors' Choice. 

Aug. 1 at 8:01 pm :
thank you sooo much!

FallenoutofgraceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 30 at 9:51 pm:
Okay this isAmazing, dark and errie. It's kinda scary but you hold out reading until the very end overall amazing job no wonder it got editor's choice. 5/5 stars

Jul. 30 at 9:54 pm :
omg thanks!!!!

BelieveInLoveAtFirstSightThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 30 at 9:16 pm:
This was amazing! Great detail, and it kind of reminded me of doctor suess lol

Jul. 30 at 9:47 pm :
lol a poem about a girl ripping her heart out reminded you of red fish blue fish... thanks haha!!

BelieveInLoveAtFirstSightThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 31 at 10:34 am :
Lol not like that, the rhyme scheme hahahaha (":

Maggiemoo414 said...
Jul. 28 at 11:53 am:
This was enthralling and scary at the same time. The imagery really captures you and holds you until the very end. To say good job would be an understatement, but good job anyway. :)

Jul. 29 at 5:10 pm :
thank you!!!!

bree_bree said...
Jun. 3 at 12:49 pm:
This is one of the most increadable things i have ever had the privalige to read. Amazing work.

Jun. 5 at 5:26 pm :
woww thanks!!

. said...
May 15 at 10:18 pm:
Wow, this is so very vivid and detailed but not in a way  that takes away from the piece. I liked how you put in what she was thinking and not just the action. way to write

May 16 at 6:27 pm :
aw thanks! feedback like this is so validating!!

MarieAntoinette2012 said...
May 13 at 10:06 am:
Very viveid and detailed! I enjoy the flow and rythymic style. As macabre as it may be it also is very lyrical.

May 16 at 6:26 pm :
thanks sooo much! You're an amazing writer too, keep it up!!