Spellbound | Teen Ink

Spellbound

By AnarchyUnbound PLATINUM, Norwich, Connecticut
AnarchyUnbound PLATINUM, Norwich, Connecticut

Life's a b****, but if it was a slut, it'd be too easy. - Tori Burgess

(The room is white, representing a holy or ghost-like area. The window, holding flowers centerstage left, is one of two symbols of peace of the ghosts who remain in this room. This room is part of a Sanitarium, an old asylum in Norwich where the insane were left to rot. The table upstage center gets moved by these ghosts when someone dares to try and sleep in any of these beds located both centerstage right and left. The loft has a ladder leading to the other section in the room. The beams exposed in the room were part of the factory this room used to be a part of. The flowers on the table located upstage center are the second symbol of peace. The scene starts with Dante and Vergil, two teenage spirits who died from committing suicide.)

Vergil:
(Sarcastically) Why hello my ghostly brother...
Dante:
Don’t start with your sarcastic crap...
Vergil:
Why? You want to kill someone again?
Dante:
Yes...but I don’t know who yet...
Vergil:
Well---
Dante:
(Interrupting Vergil) Maybe we could kill Casey when she comes back into the room…!
Vergil:
Or we could leave her alone…
Dante:
What? You were perfectly fine with killing the person who resides in the room before Casey.
Vergil:
Well…let’s just say I know something that you have to figure out.
Dante:
Oh Sacre Bleu, you and your puzzles… (Growls quietly)
Vergil:
Oh yes, me and my puzzles.

(Casey enters the room centerstage left while Dante and Vergil continue talking.)

Dante:
What’s so bloody great about Casey that we should keep her alive?!
Vergil:
Oh I don’t know, why don’t you tell me yourself?
Dante:
Well, I enjoy killing random people so I shouldn’t have to worry about who I kill.
Vergil:
Oh, I believe you’ll want to think this one out before you kill her.
Dante:
Wait...What do you mean?
Vergil:
Oh nothing.

(Casey looks at Dante from in the loft upstage left, oblivious to the fact he’s sitting on the bed (located centerstage right) with Vergil talking away.)

Dante:
(pauses) I… I forgot what I was going to say…
Vergil:
Dante’s falling for a human…..what a shock.
Dante:
………….
Vergil:
What? Are you afraid to admit that you are falling for her?
Dante:
That’s not the case little brother….
Vergil:
(Raises eyebrow) Oh? Then what is the case?
Dante:
Casey was my fiancée before I……committed suicide…
Vergil:
So you were going to marry her? I thought you would have killed her by now…
Dante:
Oh shut up….you don’t know what it was like to fall for her…
Vergil:
I don’t, but at least you’re not being violent like you always are.
Dante:
True, but she’s the only one who contains all that violence…and I don’t know why…
Vergil:
Love can be strange, but also painful.
Dante:
Can we just leave Vergil? I don’t want to stay here anymore.
Vergil:
No Dante, we can’t leave. Face it, we’re stuck here until we fade away or until we can move on.
Dante:
Damnit Vergil, I just want to leave! I can’t take this anymore!!
Vergil:
(sighs) Well there’s nothing we can do about it...
Dante:
(crying) I can’t stand to see her with the way I am now... I’m nothing without her....nothing but a dying memory.
Vergil:
I’m.....speechless.
Dante:
Piss off, jerk.

(Dante and Vergil leave downstage left and Casey and Sierra enter downstage right in the loft.)
Casey:
I wonder where Dante is...
Sierra:
I’m starting to wonder where Vergil is also...
Casey:
Maybe they’re at work...
Sierra:
I doubt it...

(The phone located on the table upstage right starts to ring.)
Sierra:
I wonder who that may be...
(Sierra answers the phone, and Noah talks to her through the phone from the backstage.)
Noah:

Sierra, I just got a call from the hospital. Dante and Vergil committed suicide last night after they brought you home.
Sierra:
What? No... (starts to cry) I can’t believe this... I’ll let Casey know. Thank you for calling Noah.
Noah:
No problem little sis.
(Sierra and Noah put the phone back onto the table located upstage right.)
Sierra:
Casey...I have some bad news...
Casey:
What do you mean...?
Sierra:
Dante and Vergil committed suicide last night. That’s why they never came by.
Casey:
(pause, then starts to cry) Why....why did they commit suicide? They seemed perfectly fine before we got home last night.
Sierra:
I don’t know, but why don’t we just do a ritual to try and get things off our mind?
Casey:
You’re acting like it’s nothing! What’s the matter with you?!
Sierra:
(yells) It does bother me OKAY?! (pause) I just can’t let it get to me...I just can’t...
Casey:
I’m sorry........
Sierra:
Whatever.

(Casey and Sierra leave downstage left and Dante and Vergil enter on the bed centerstage left.)
Dante:
I...wish we could change what we did that night.
Vergil:
You and I both....You and I both brother...
Dante:
This isn’t fair!
Vergil:
Since when was this ever fair..? Nothing in life is fair Dante, not even when we’re dead…
Dante:
I know that…but I just want to be with her, but I’m starting to realize I can’t be with her anymore.
Vergil:
Now you’re starting to realize you need to move on? (Scoffs) It took you long enough.
Dante:
Yes, I finally…realized I need to move on. Thanks to you, little brother…
Vergil:
I don’t intend to be a jerk, but I put you through this to help you realize this.

(Dante and Vergil leave downstage right, and Casey and Sierra enter the room.)

Sierra:
I have this weird feeling that Dante and Vergil are watching over us…
Casey:

Sierra:
What? You don’t think I’m serious do you…?
Casey:
…. I don’t want to talk about it.
Sierra:
(aggravated) So let me get this straight, you’re doing the same crap I pulled earlier and acting like this is nothing? I’m not stupid Casey, I know when something’s bothering you.
Casey:
……..
Sierra:
Forget it. I can see that trying to help you is pointless.

(Dante and Vergil enter the room, while Sierra and Casey remain in the room.)

Dante:
Do you think there’s a way we……could give them a sign that we’re watching over them…?
Vergil:
Honestly, I haven’t tried. It’s worth a shot.
Vergil:
Are you sure you want to do this? You had a breakdown earlier, and I’m worried you’ll completely move on.
Dante:
I’m sure Vergil. I’d rather risk moving on than not, because I love her more than anything…

(Dante picks up the vase of flowers on the window (located centerstage left) and throws it at the floor, catching Sierra and Casey off guard.)

Sierra:
Umm…….what the heck did that…?
Casey:
I…don’t know.
Casey:
Maybe it’s a sign of something trying to kill us…
Sierra:
(sighs) Just…shut up. You can’t admit that what I said is true, so I don’t want to hear your idiotic crap.
Casey:
…..
Sierra:
If you can’t admit that you’re hurt, then I’m moving out. You’ve done this before he even died, and this time it’s even worse. If you’re not going to tell me, then don’t. You’re like a sister to me, and I’m trying to be here for you, and if you won’t let me help, then I’m leaving, for good.
Casey:
Please….don’t.
Sierra:
Why? Give me a reason why I shouldn’t.
Casey:
(Yells) Look! I’m trying to hide my pain okay?! I miss Dante more than anything, I’ll admit that. (Pauses) It’s hard to deal with the fact he’s gone…..It just is…
Sierra:
Took you long enough to talk about it…
Casey:
Shut up….
Dante:
I hate how they can’t hear us talk. It kills me to see that she doesn’t think we’re watching over her.
Vergil:
She’s blinded by her own pain Dante, you know that. We just need to let them live without us in their lives.
Dante:
Sadly, you’re right.
(A white light appears and points directly to the door.)
Vergil:
It’s time for us to move on Dante...
Dante:
I know…. (Mutters quietly) I love you Casey……forever and always

(Dante and Vergil leave downstage left (Curtain))

This was a project I had for Creative Writing and this was my final result of my play.