When I Was Little

When I was little, Daddy would
Hold my hand in his big warm one
He’d tell me, “You’re my Princess!”
And together we’d have grand fun.

When I was little, Mommy would,
Sing sweet lullabies to send me to sleep
No matter how tired she was, wouldn't scold
Even if I woke her up like an alarm beep.

When I was little, everyone was good
No terrorism, No corruption, No calamities
Didn't care who ruled or lived or who died.
Everything seemed bliss, crawling on my knees.

When I was little, I would
Run about with not a single worry
Dad’s shoulders were the highest peak,
There was no rushing and no hurry.

When I was little, didn't know
What vices were, nor how to lie
I believed in all the fairy tales
And dreamt one day would fly!

When I was little, all the world
Was heaven itself! Now I cry:
Innocence, Oh childhood friend, come
Embrace me again, never to say goodbye.

I wish that it would all come back.
If only for a teeny tiny day
So we could make snow angels,
And would play and play and play!

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Reminds me of my childhood... (: I miss being a kid. I love your tone shifts in this... they're abrupt but also smooth at the same time. THe whole poem just works. I like how at the beginning you used lower-level words to define a child, but towards the end the narrator itself was defined and you used "bigger" words. Again, with the shifts there. I do think this would make a good sonnet if you could fix up the rhythm and syllables and stuff, but free verse works just as we... (more »)

SaphiraBrightscales replied...
Nov. 18, 2013 at 5:34 am :
ehehehe, I'm glad it did. And Thank you for all that. You know, this is one poem I have NEVER been satisfied with and I really do want to convert it into some other from (preferably a sonnet) But let's see where it goes as it is currently being edited. :D I shall InshaAllah submit the new version too :) Thank you so much for all the insight. And I love how you analyzed each component separately. And well, the shifts I was kind of hoping for and since you say they work well I won't ch... (more »)

SaphiraBrightscales replied...
Nov. 18, 2013 at 5:35 am :
some other *form

nelehjrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oops. You just got subscribed to :)
I noticed just a few places that could use some help, however that may be because it was lost in translation. I notice you're from Pakistan. Do you write in english?

SaphiraBrightscales replied...
Sept. 9, 2013 at 1:26 pm :
hehehe okay  totally did adore that "oops" :))   And well, this is ancient, I do think it needs a lot of help. And that it's not a sonnet at all. And yes please. Do tell me what parts are weird or not fitting. And well yes, I am a Pakistani. That last question I didn't get, I mean, yes well it's kind of the second official language here so and well, I have posted stuff on TI so yes. I think you might've meant it as a jest. Do explain :P  

nelehjrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 9, 2013 at 10:59 pm :
Sorry, late night, needin' a shower. I didn't mean that question in an offensive way! I apologize! Um...Can you comment back and remind me to review your peice later?

SaphiraBrightscales replied...
Sept. 11, 2013 at 9:25 am :
Oh no, not at all did I take it in an offensive manner. I promise you that. :) Just that it was REAL confusing :P No need to apologize my newest friend :)... And sure. I'd love that feedback whenever you're free.  I do appreciate it.

Sept. 12, 2013 at 7:54 pm :
Okay, I can't really find what I was talking about anymore except the lines "No matter how tired she was,/woudn't scold" I don't know but that one just seems off...I really do love this poem! It's very relateable and brings back all sorts of happy memories. It's also like I can hear you through your poetry. Write on!

SaphiraBrightscales replied...
Sept. 13, 2013 at 12:30 pm :
Hmmm,,, You know I am quite uncomfortable with the overall rythym now that I look at it. Maybe it would've been better off as free-verse... I think I might look at it and edit up stuff some later. Thanks a lot for making me think so hard on it. Your feedback is amazing. hey I posted new stuff, do read :))  tell me if my poetry has gotten better from this one four years old poem :P Love always.

EPluribusUnumThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like this :) It reminds me so much of growing up

SaphiraBrightscales replied...
Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:00 am :
Oh I'm ever SO glad that you do. And that it did that. I hoped it would. Thank you for reading :))))

TheEpic95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:35 am:
LOL! NO! this ISNT in sonnet! TI likes to glitch out and put things in the wrong catagory all the time, but this time, putting it in "all poems" was okay! Alrighty.... i think this actually needs some work. The stanzas feel a little top-heavy, with the stronger lines on top and weaker lines flowing from it. I solve this by writing the powerful part first with the intend of using it at the end, then writing a rhyming set of lines that leads up and introduces the thought. You dknt need tonwrite l... (more »)

TheEpic95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:43 am :
****** sorry, i was trying to say that the last lines on the first needed work, but not much because their was a chilish and innoccent air about them that sorta fit NOT that their was that air about the last of the second that ended in "beep".that line was aqkward******** You do a good job, though! Keep writing! And hey, posting stuf in WW fourm for poetry and lyrics now and again ia a good idea. Just ask me to look at it and il give you the best help i can before you post it officially. I dont ... (more »)

SaphiraBrightscales replied...
Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:45 am :
Good Idea! WOW thank you for all this amazing feedback! Believe me I read all this three times...well thanks to TeenInk super formatting sometimes it's hard to read it when it all comes like that WHOA! hahaha yeah "beep" was awkward :P 

Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:19 pm :
I'm glad you find it useful. Im sorry there were so many typos, im using a touch screen and it is very hard to type. Some of my typos were REALLY odd, matire for "Mature", just to name one out if a dozen. But at least you could read and understand me :)

SaphiraBrightscales replied...
Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:59 am :
I find it VERY useful,,...and yesterday even my daddy was admiring how much constructive criticism you give me when he was checking out my stuff on TI.....Hhahaa yes, it is hard on a touchscreen,.....Once I tried emailing you with it..Gosh the typos... :D Until next time then. LOve, Dua.

SaphiraBrightscales replied...
Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:08 am :
By the way I want you to read "A Poetess, I?" I'd really like your feedback on that one... Please..

ThoughtToner said...
When daddy's shoulders were the highest peek! oh how us seedlings have grown, just pretending to watch over postponing a call to another day..:( life, it goes on. Childhood, it's one part that stays in the heart forever!   

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hey, hey, hey! Ah the days of childhood. They're so lond ago, aren't they, Saphira? Listen to me, I sound as though I'm 90 or something. Thanks for evoking the memories we tend to forget know with all the burdens and worries we carry everyday now that we're older. 

SaphiraBrightscales replied...
Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:14 am :
It's so nice to see how you beat everyone else at finding my new work and commenting...Your feedback always makes me so happy..Thank you ever so much Mckay! For taking out the time to read this. And I'm ever so glad I was able to evoke those childhood memories...it was indeed my utmost pleasure. And NO you don't sound like 90 cause if you do then I sound like 100 or something, I talk like that a lot....Ah, but carefully enough not with regret of the time's passing by so quickly b... (more »)