How Much I Do Love Thee

How much do I love thee?

How high canst thou count?
How far is it to that great end of Eternity?
In number, tell me the stars amount.

When you, my love, take these here
Into one vast sum it will not be
Anywhere near the greatness, my dear,
How much I do love thee.

How long shalt I love thou?

How old is the sand ‘neath your feet?
How many years of wisdom does the wind shroud?
In millennia, tell me the amount of all the hearts’ beats.

Then you, my love, might vaguely understand
That how long I shalt love thou
Will be far longer than the age of man.

writefearless said...
Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:33 am
brilliant! i feel like reading a classic poem and meeting a classic poet. you sounded like Browning. i love reading far-fetched metaphors ♥

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Wow, thank you! :D I'm glad you liked it.

E.J.Mathews This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Amazing! This sounded like it came straight out of a Shakespeare play, and not just because of the old English words you used! This was great!

Really? Thanks! :)

In_Love_with_Writing said...
This was very sweet and I LOVED the style!! :) If I could give it a grade it would be A+

SteelersJdog replied...
This is so beautiful. To be honest, it's probably my favorite poem that I've read on this sight. I love the classical language that you use. The formal tone fits the mood perfectly. This should have been in the Magazine or something!!! 5/5 :)

Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:51 am
Awww thanks so much!! That means a lot!!

kaitlynisweird said...
It sounds like a very classical poem, much like Shakespeare. Your poem is good, don't get me wrong, but Shakespeare's not really my favorite poet, to be honest. It's just not my style...I'm biased.