The Eagle

Should one defer his daily greed,
Lay down his cause – a hero treed,
And turn his gaze upon the sun,
His Hour has begun!

For as he stares his eyesight sore,
He sees the Eagle, lo! to pore,
What is not gone yet still far-gone,
The Eagle’s blesséd dawn!

Oh! how the Eagle once inspired,
The great, the just, heroes admired,
Yet now all heads are turned in shame,
At mention of his name!

All scoff with horrors to pervade,
His fifty Feathers ruffled, frayed,
And with no comfort as they cry,
Their woes into the sky!

Throughout the mountains, forests, lands,
Across the rivers, beaches, sands,
Come nix the joyful sounds of pride,
But voices to deride!

Although the Eagle has its stains,
Which seem to many peoples banes,
I yearn that ay true, brave, and strong,
Shall peal the Eagle's song!

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:41 pm:
I really like this. :) Your writing and the message went so well together and made it a very powerful piece.  I really enjoyed it! 5 stars ^_^

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:09 pm:
  Your writing style works very well for this. :) I like the refinement you were able to portray when commenting on such a touchy subject—it struck a nice balance. Also, I love the imagery of the eagle being ‘stained’. Great work!

Apollo77This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:56 pm:
I like the poem, I always love when that type of fancy old timey writing is used in pieces about america because it feels so patriotic, where as just using modern voice is so cliche and sounds very...childish. I love this really, it brings up all of the emotions in me that I think it was designed to and I believe anyone else woould have the same reaction. great job

Ga-GahKayMarie said...
Simply Fantastic! I love the patriotism behind this; the eagle just so symbolic of America and the reason behind writing just makes it even better 

LadyFreeWillThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 15, 2012 at 10:30 am:
Very nice! I loved the dramatic way you wrote this -It's a bit cheesy, but in a good way that makes me smile. Spelling, punctuation, and grammar is flawless except for the second to last line; "I yearn that ay true" -do you mean "I year that WAY true"?  Great work, 5/5 stars.

Caleb.Andrews replied...
Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:48 pm :
Thank you for your comment. No, "ay" was the intended word.

Kiki_McGee said...
Oh... AMAZING! It was so good that I had to stand up and read it aloud with my best dramatic (but not cheesey) voice! The only thing I noticed that was a little awkward when reading aloud was "What is not gone yet still far- / gone." Other than that, great job!

Black_Rose_Princess said...
Aug. 12, 2012 at 5:32 am:
Amazing! This was very strongly written and I loved it. Your voice and language was very enjoyable (lo...I love that word Your message rang out loud and was definitely very strong. And your use of metaphors other figurative language was amazing! Nothing stuck out as needing to be fixed. Very well-done!

Norman G. said...
Jul. 1, 2012 at 12:58 am:
Very well written :) I enjoyed it very much. Original, poetic, and finally patriotic.

thatunknownthingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:18 pm:
the poem overall is pretty good and i dont think i'll be able to write something as professional and poetic, so it's a beautiful work, though at reading the first couple of paragraphs i felt  bored, but the last three stanzas are great work. keep it up! you sound like a professional poet already.

InkWriter13 said...
Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:29 pm:
WOW! I love this poem. It's beautiful, poetic (hard to find another word for it), and well-written. I like the style you chose; it works effectively for your message. This is strong all the way through, and you have some truly deep insights. The symbolism is well-used and not overused to a point where clarity is lost. I'm so glad you voiced the goodness of America! It's about time someone did. I truly and wholeheartedly agree. We live in a great country, and we should more often treat it as such... (more »)

InkWriter13 said...
Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:29 pm:

Emma-Riley replied...
Aug. 13, 2012 at 8:05 pm :
that is absolutly amazing! i loved it so much. i love your "voice" in the poem, it's really amazing! good job (: