A Sport Sonnet

Hot weather makes practices exhaust me.
Stressful drills leave teams down and sorrowful.
During rest, we get shade under a tree,
Afterwards we all feel more powerful.

As games start, player's energy released.
The coaches encouraged and reassured.
Score becomes tied and needs to be increased,
Another point is scored and win secured.

Feelings of joy and triumph fill the court.
The other team is sad and defeated.
We celebrate this great, wonderful sport.
If all goes right, it shall be repeated.

Through hard work and dedication the game is won.
This phenomenal sport is very fun.

MsTerry said...
I think that this is a wonderful topic to expand on but as of now, could be improved in terms of detail and depth. What did the goalie look like as he futily struggled to block the last shot? Was the team muddy, bruised, or even bloodied? Describe shouts of triumphs, the rising of triumphant fists into the air. Detail is key and with detail, this poem can be greatly improved. Keep it up and work at it (:

MattCardinal said...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 10:27 am:
This is not the greatest work. I think you should focus more on the intensity of your topic because it can be so complex and there are so many angles to focus on to really get the readers interested. But for now, obviously practices will exhaust you, that really didnt accomplish much.

TAR11 said...
Jul. 16, 2011 at 5:02 pm:
Very relatable.  Please check out my poems "From the Hilltop" and Anonymous' Inferno"  Thanks! 

purplequeen said...
Jul. 16, 2011 at 10:20 am:
This was okay, i would give it a 3 star. Can you check out my work please please please??? Thank You

K.M.S.Shear said...
Jun. 2, 2011 at 6:29 am:

nicely done

Vampireknight replied...
Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:08 pm :
I got a good poem imagine my struggle my freedom striped away im stuck in this place watching the clock and counting the days im jus a kid who wants to have fun stuck in the group home but im not the only one

Brim369 said...
May 11, 2011 at 11:08 am:
AMAZING WORK! great job!

ExpRESsY0uRselF said...
This was okay. It was nothing that spectacular, but overall, I guess it was okay. Personally, I wouldn't have chosen sports as my topic. Otherwise, nice vocabulary. If you have time, please check out my poems, The Girl Inside, Remembering Spring, and You Are the Lyrics In Me. Thanks!!!

susan23sam said...

Does this have a rhyme scheme, personification, simile, metaphor, onomatopoeia, assonance, alliteration, and consance,

00Meg00 said...
Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:01 pm:
OMG u r super amazing!!  It's so cool cuz my basketball team just won our national tournament so it fits my state of mine right now!! I showed all of them and they loved this!! GO SWAG!

writeon said...
Dec. 8, 2010 at 7:38 am:
Love this sonnet!!!!

MRose911 said...
This is a darn good sonnet! I can't write sonnets too well  :P haha good job! what sport do you play??

dayoung G replied...
Oct. 27, 2011 at 3:02 pm :
hi wats up

MRose911 replied...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:36 pm :
Oh nothing much... you?

inspir3d This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 3:51 pm:
Clever, but the rhymes sound forced. "Sorrowful--powerful," etc. I can tell this took a lot of work, so great job! sonnets are really tricky. Personally i like to write poetry w/o strict rhyme or meter, but that's just me.

numbheart21 said...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:17 am:
wew.. this is a good sonnet.. i like it.. it simply follows the rules (well, not until the last two lines).. but i still do like it.. haha.. good job!:P 

TheSummoningFreak said...
May 24, 2010 at 2:23 pm:

his is great and awesome don't listeb to

Ummm...shutup that person is just PO casue they can't write poem as good as this one

Ummm...shutup said...
May 24, 2010 at 12:46 pm:
Toilet paper anyone?

thetiedyecrayon replied...
May 24, 2010 at 3:41 pm :
What is your problem? If you don't like it, either give constructive criticism or say, "I didn't like it that much" and find one you do like. If you think his/her poem is that bad, write your own, for goodness sake! Your comments are so rude, that it makes your username ironic.

Ummm...shutup said...
May 24, 2010 at 12:46 pm:
This is so bad that I cannot think of a decent slam to bash this bowel movement with.